This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

We’ve all had a time in our lives when we are the only single friend in our girl group. Your friends seem to be getting boyfriends, or have evolving ‘things’ with guys. The only ‘thing’ you have evolving is your interdependent relationship with Hulu.

You may feel as if your life is at a low point and you aren’t getting enough out of your college experience. In reality, being the only single friend has its advantages.

By now you’ve probably realized that relationships are complicated in college, especially non-committed types of relationships. You’ve seen your friends cry over boys who don’t deserve their tears, and you want to rip your hair out because the situations are so stupid.

But, the single-pringle doesn’t have to worry about this. You get to witness it second hand. You should rejoice that you don’t have to deal with that emotional confusion and angst.

Being the single friend is great! Being the outside point of view, your friends come to you for advice about their relationships. I absolutely love giving people advice. Friends always listen to me, like I’m a relationship therapist. And although I’m not a real therapist, I continue to give them loads of advice anyway.

When giving advice in your long girl talks—that sometimes go all night—you learn from their mistakes. What to do, and not do, in your next relationship becomes clearer with their help. This is the best way to learn about relationships because you don’t actually have anything to mess up! So, next time you and your future boyfriend get into an argument, you may already know how to handle it.

Being the single friend is also wonderful because when you do finally meet that special someone, it’s going to be amazing. You were the single friend for so long, then suddenly you no longer are. You are going to be vastly more prepared for a new relationship.

Everyone has been the single friend at some point and it can be fun. Relish your singleness and take advantage of everything that you can only do when you’re single. Sooner or later, your time of being the single friend will be over, and you might even miss it. 

Cover image source: Pexels

Courtney is a senior at the University of California Davis where she is earning her degree in Communication, with minor in English. Courtney is a member of Alpha Delta Pi and is from Santa Barbara, CA. She is an avid reader, Netflix and Hulu watcher, beauty enthusiast, and is a big foodie!