What They Don’t Tell You About Sustainable Living

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Inspired by the recent UC Davis student startup, Femikit, I decided to begin my journey toward a zero waste and mostly plastic-free lifestyle. Although I already considered myself eco-friendly, I took one more look at my home and realized I was wrong. I wrote down all of the changes I could make, from my kitchen to my medicine cabinet. While this shift was relatively simple, there are a few things I wish I had known before going into it.

There is a reason why plastic is so pervasive: IT’S CHEAP.

This might seem obvious until you actually count the number of plastic items you have altogether. It’s practically unavoidable. I was struggling to find alternatives for toiletries, which are usually packaged in plastic tubes and bottles. Fortunately, I discovered some companies like LUSH, Meow Meow Tweet, and Package Free that sell bar shampoos. I even made my own toothpaste using coconut oil, baking soda, and peppermint oil.

Image source: Pexels

Makeup while living zero waste is tricky.

Makeup was the most difficult to find replacements for. It’s something I loved to collect and was reluctant to give up at first. Ultimately, I learned that minimizing my makeup waste actually decluttered my bathroom, saved money, and allowed me to embrace my natural face. Some cosmetic companies like Kjaer Weis make refillable products, but it still required me to sacrifice my monthly Ipsy subscription and regular visits to Sephora.

The process toward zero waste is expensive.

Better quality products are going to be more expensive. They’re made with materials that are meant to last. While this will benefit you in the long-run, it’s unwise to buy everything all at once. Some companies like Ikea sell highly affordable products, but I advise you to take it one step at a time.

Zero waste can be uncomfortable and inconvenient.

There are some things in my life I’ve gotten accustomed to because they’re affordable, convenient, and all I’ve ever known. Getting in the habit of using a dishcloth to wipe kitchen messes, handkerchiefs, and a Diva Cup was undoubtedly tedious. Additionally, being environmentally conscious forced me to carry more items in my backpack than I was used to. It’s initially bothersome but grows easier over time.

Investing in a compost bin can drastically reduce your waste.

For years I’ve only recycled plastic bottles and cans. With just a single recycling bin in my apartment, I was accumulating massive amounts of trash that could have easily been composted. Now, with multiple recycling bins and a compost bin in my living space, I’ve witnessed how easy it is to reduce my waste. Even though complete zero waste is nearly impossible, these small efforts can make a big difference.

Image source: Pexels

MINIMIZE.

You’ll eventually learn that you don’t need everything you own. Make a list of clothes, stuffed toys, makeup, or utensils you no longer want. There are plenty of local donation centers and shelters that will happily take your clutter. The next step is to think before you buy. This will not only help you in reducing waste, but it will also help you avoid impulse purchases in the future.

Zero waste is empowering!

I love having control over my choices and making positive changes in my life, so this process has given me an extreme sense of agency. It may be daunting at first, but trust me, it’s worthwhile.

Becky is currently a third year Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies and Communication double major with a minor in UWP.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!