gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Taylor Swift’s “If You’re Anything Like Me”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

A few weeks ago, Taylor Swift released her sixth studio album along with two poems, in which she explained the events that happened during her hiatus. One of the poems is titled “Why She Disappeared” and the other “If You’re Anything Like Me“.

While her poem “Why She Disappeared” explains in detail what she was feeling “at the death of her reputation,” her second poem is more compelling. 

“You promise people the world, because that’s what they want from you. You like giving them what they want…But darling, you need to stop.”

Source: Giphy

She explains how she spent most of her time acquiescing to other’s needs and wants. We oftentimes wrap our mind around ways to improve: not for ourselves, but for others. However, Swift believes we should learn to prioritize ourselves before accommodating other people. 

“If you’re anything like me, you knock on wood every time you make plans. You cross your fingers, hold your breath, wish on lucky numbers and eyelashes, your superstitions were the lone survivors of the shipwreck. If life gets too good now, Darling, it scares you.”

Prior to Kanye 2.0, Swift was arguably at the peak of her career as a Grammy’s nominee and her successful world tour. Unfortunately, celebrity conflicts emerged, tarnishing Swift’s reputation. Like Swift, people fear outside judgment and harsh criticism – they can become hindrances to success.

Source: Giphy

“Until they stripped you of your shiny paint, threw your victory flag away, and you saw the ones who wanted you anyway… Darling, later on you will thank your stars for that frightful day.”

Despite the toll on her reputation, this setback allowed Taylor to recognize those who sincerely cared about her. We tend to wallow in the low-points in our lives, but we ultimately thank our stars for those adversities because they reveal our true friends.

“If you’re anything like me, I’m sorry. But Darling, it’s going to be okay.”

Taylor Swift empathizes with her audience members that can find the poem relatable and reassures them that everything will resolve in due time. Emotional pain is only temporary and will strengthen you in the long run. There is nothing better than rising after a fall.

Cover Image Source: Pixabay

Joyce is a third year studying Communication at UC Davis and is from Tracy, CA. Joyce enjoys musical theatre, reading anything from classics and current bestsellers, eating pizza and cheesecake, all while waiting for the next and final episode of the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!