nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Top 5 Interview Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Interviews can be nerve-wracking, but there are some things you can do that will help you feel less stressed before the big day:

Wear something comfortable.

Try to get a measure of the climate of the organization/company to see what the usual attire is (business casual or dressy?). Don’t take the interview as a time to bust out a brand new dress, because you’ll actually be more comfortable and confident in an outfit you’ve worn before and know that you look good in.

Memorize the company/organization’s mission statement.

Whoever is interviewing you is definitely going to ask what you like about the company. Knowing the mission statement well will help you to list a few fundamental values or characteristics of the organization that you also value.

Wash your hands with warm water before the interview.

This is pretty weird, but I always have cold hands and it makes me a little uncomfortable when people comment on it after a handshake. I like to warm up my hands so that I don’t start off the interview feeling nervous or insecure about the temperature of them.

Take your time before answering a question.

A lot of the time, interviewers will ask you about a specific experience (“When was a time that you made a mistake, and how did you fix it?”). You want to be sure that your answer is appropriate and concise. It’s fine to take a few moments, or even ask for a minute or two, to think about what you want to say. Your interviewer won’t count it against you, and even though it might feel weird, a little bit of silence shows you’re putting serious thought into what you want to say.

Follow up with an email the next day.

Thank your interviewer for the opportunity, and tell them you’re looking forward to hearing back from the company. Doing this will help your interviewer remember you, and you’ll get brownie points for being timely and sincere.

Mariana graduated from University of California, Davis in 2018 with bachelor's degrees in English and linguistics. She currently works as an editor for a biotechnology company in Seattle, WA.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!