This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

“Who even has time to put all that stuff on their face?”

“This is why you take girls swimming on the first date.”

“She looks like a completely different person.”

“This is why I have trust issues.”

Lately, I’ve noticed that makeup shaming is becoming a major issue. Comments like the ones above—and many more—have been posted all over social media, and said in person. These comments are hurtful, and to be quite blunt, petty and childish.

It’s truly upsetting that some women claim to support and uplift each other, yet criticize other women and girls for the amount or style of makeup they choose to wear. Many times, I hear people talk about photos they see on Instagram or Facebook, making comments like, “Mmm yeah she looks pretty here, but she looks so different without all that makeup on.”

As YouTuber NikkieTutorials so eloquently put it, “I’ve been noticing a lot lately that girls are almost ashamed to say they love makeup—cuz nowadays, when you say you love makeup, you either do it because you want to look good for boys, you do it because you’re insecure, or you do it because you don’t love yourself.”

The video she uploaded, “The Power of Makeup,” says it all:

Makeup is an art and a hobby that many women enjoy. It’s entertaining to watch faces transform, and to see the work and talent that goes into it. Makeup allows you to create a new look every time you apply it. If we looked exactly the same with and without makeup, what would be the point of applying it? I enjoy doing my makeup because it’s a great way to de-stress, and I love how it can help me express my personality.

There are no rules when it comes to makeup. You can switch from a nude, natural look to full-on glam and still be the same amazing person. I challenge you to venture out of your comfort zone and to try a look you never thought you could pull off.

The next time you see someone shaming another person because of how they choose to apply their makeup, stand up and say, “Yessss, homegirl got that contour on fleek!! Her eyeshadow is popping! That liner is everythingggg.”

We cannot achieve gender equality until we stop hating, shaming, and criticizing each other.

Hey everyone! My name is Chandni and I first came to Davis as a transfer student. Now that I'm in my final year, I've learned a lot about campus life in a really short amount of time. I'm an economics and psychology major and I love animals! I love meeting new people, so if you ever see me around, come over and say hi! :)
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!