This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Here are 5 ways to prepare yourself for the drastic Davis weather.

1. Check the weather report

I have made the mistake several times of looking outside my window and assuming that the weather will stay the same all day. You might see a beautiful sunny day, but it can quickly turn gray, and rainy in a few short hours. Alternatively, a cold storm outside your window might clear up by noon.

2. Assume it’s going to rain. Always.

Unfortunately, the weather report isn’t always accurate. In Davis, it’s safer to assume that it’s going to rain all day and all week. It’s good to carry a rain coat or umbrella because you never know when it’s going to start pouring. Even if it’s been sunny all week, you should expect the worst and assume it’s going to rain on the weekends.

3. There is little to no transition period

I’m from SoCal, where the weather nicely transitions from a 60° winter to a 70° spring to an 80° to 90° summer. That transition does not exist in Davis, so you don’t get to prepare for the weather heating up. We go from between 50° and 60° rainy season to 80° dry season with barely any time in between.

4. Stock up on allergy medication

If you get allergies like I do in the spring, be prepared for them to be even worse in Davis. I have never sneezed as much as I have since I moved here. Be sure to get your preferred allergy medication or several boxes of tissues.

5. Take advantage of the warm weather

After months of rain, the weather has finally cleared up! Lay in the hammocks, do your homework, or eat lunch in the quad; just go outside more often and enjoy the sun. You deserve it for dealing with the rain for so long.

None of the gifs used belong to the author or Her Campus UC Davis.

Thumbnail source: Manny Crisostomo

Ravina is a second year Comparative Literature major at UC Davis. When not studying, she enjoys watching Brooklyn Nine Nine and rereading the Harry Potter series.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!