Five Places to Go on a Date in Davis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Getting tired of ‘Netflix and chill’? Here are some date ideas for you and that special someone!

1. The Arboretum: This is for any level of romance at any time of the day.

For those of you who love romance, stroll or bike next to the adorable squirrels and ducks. You can even act out a RomCom scene by adding a lock to the bridge of lovers’ locks. If that sounds a little boring, you can also check out the Arboretum’s special events page! http://arboretum.ucdavis.edu/calendar.aspx. Just please don’t be that one odd ball who “gets off” under the bridge at 2pm. That’s not cute.

2. Movie Theatres: To me it makes no sense to go on a date where you do nothing but stare at a screen in silence for a few hours, but for reasons I don’t quite understand, people really enjoy it.

If you’re feeling ‘hipster’ or trying to impress someone who is, watch independent films at the Varsity Theatre. If you’d rather see movies intended for the general populace, go to either of the two Regal Cinemas. All of these theatres are located in Downtown Davis, just a short walk from campus.

3. Mondavi Center: This is the classiest date you could possibly have on campus or even in the city.

There are a variety of music, dance, and film events throughout the year. Most of the performers are well-known and revered, like last year’s sold out shows for comedian/actor Nick Offerman and violinist Itzhak Perlman. Tickets are pricey, but UC Davis students get discounts.

4. Memorial Union: Keep it PG with bowling, billiards, and arcade games.

Bowling is inexpensive and you can choose to pay per game or per hour. The CoHo is also conveniently nearby, where you can get drinks and/or a meal afterwards.

5. Explore Downtown Davis. Get an ice cream sandwich at Crème or a burger at Burgers and Brew. Just let your feet guide you!

This is an absolute must for any UCD student who wants to have the perfect date. There are a million places to go and a million things to see. You can browse the quirky book stores, look through boxes of cheap obscure records, feign interest in the art gallery, check out the bars (if you’re of age), stop by the music shops, or hang around the outdoor quads if there’s a live performance going on. This is a great way to find common interests, try new things, and have a lot of fun.

Now that you have five solid date ideas, stop looking for cuddle buddies on Yik Yak and ask someone out!

:)
Megan Taylor Hartenstein is an English major and Women's Studies minor at the University of California, Davis. Give her something to write with, and she'll create a masterpiece. While she loves journalism and writing short stories, her dream is to become a television or film writer. Megan is a proud feminist, and loves to incorporate feminist principles in everything she writes.