5 Winter to Spring Fashion Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

If you’re soaking up the warm winter in California, picking the right outfit during this winter-spring transition can be an underrated challenge. No one wants to look like an oddball for wearing high-waisted shorts in February, let alone the person in pastels in a lecture hall of somber colors. Yet, after weeks of piling on big coats and sweaters, we’re all yearning to don lighter layers with the recent warm weather. No sweat (pun intended), transitioning between seasons doesn’t mean you’ll have to completely abandon your winter essentials. Here’s 5 tips to kick start your transition from winter wear to spring style.

1. Lighter Layers: Let’s face it: we’re layering on pretty much anything in attempts to keep warm during winter. To transition into spring, sport lighter layers and showcase dimensions with strategic structuring. Throw on a long-sleeve or sweater over a dress, and easily take off the top layer when it gets to warm. Use subtle accessories like bar necklaces to keep your outfit sophisticated, and far from an overwhelming mess.

2. Utilize Tights: True story – I’ve had one too many friends say they’ve never seen me wearing jeans. Why? I own an abundance of tights, as they’re perfect for sporting under shorts or dresses when mornings are still a little chilly. Best of all, you can always take them off when it’s too warm.

3. Flaunt in Flatforms: These shoes are almost too perfect to use when transitioning between seasons, and can even be worn year round. The contrast between closed toe and sandal features literally provides the best of winter booties, and spring sandals. Too bold for you? Try a pair of graphic-print low wedged platforms for ease in walking.

4. Pop Bright Colors: Forego the dark colors of winter by adding hints of bright color to your outfit! Contrast your winter essentials with one bright colored item in your outfit to make a statement and look spring-forward. To create an edgy look, continue wearing your winter booties in spring by pairing them with a light, flowy garment. Simply switching up your nail  polish or lipstick to powerful pinks will make sure you’re not Fifty Shades of boring.

5. Revamp Old Garments: Changing how you perceive old items will open new doors to creating outfits. It’s simple: take your tops and knot them up in the front to a knot. Sounds easy, right? As an underrated method to enhance your outfit, this concept will highlight your waistline and make basic tops stand out. Take this step further by tucking in portions of your top in your bottoms. Playing with these dimensions with give you blogger-vibes and a newfound sense of style. It’s all in the details.

Cindy Suzuki is a recent graduate of the University of California, Davis with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication and double-minors in Professional Writing and Textiles and Clothing. She considers herself a full-fledged fashion aficionado; living and breathing all things fashion related. Follow her fashion journey on Instagram: @cindysuzuki
Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.