5 Ways to Combat Homesickness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Whether you are an hour’s drive or an ocean away from home, leaving familiar comforts to begin your college career can be quite an intimidating experience. At some time during the school year, you might start to feel homesick. The following tips should hopefully help all new Aggies view this fantastic campus as their new home away from home…

1. Create your “Happy Place”Whether it’s a dorm room or your own room in a house, it is important to make this new space uniquely yours. Odds are that you will be spending a good amount of time here, even if it’s just napping. Make sure that your room, or part of a room, makes you feel happy and at home. Decorate your walls with pictures of family, friends, pets, or posters of things that you love. Not only can little things like these help you feel better when you are missing home, but the browsing decorating DIY’s on the internet is always fun. Crafting a new set of throw pillows, or decorations can serve as a great bonding experience for you and your roommates, or as a great way to relax by yourself.

2. Find your On-Campus FavoritesI received this advice from an upperclassmen during my first year and found it really useful. Try to treat your college campus like your hometown. Find your favorite places to eat, to study, to exercise, to grab coffee and chat with your friends. This can make a new campus and a new place feel more familiar and less intimidating.

3. For most people, food can be a tremendous comfort. The Student Housing Dining Commons and town of Davis have an incredible variety of cuisines and eateries. Options are endless! If you ever find that you are missing foods from home, whether it’s from a café or your parent’s kitchen, you can most likely find something similar Downtown. On occasion, certain clubs will sell baked goods on campus, and cultural clubs will recreate portable bites of their culture’s cousine. Another great way to explore food options in Davis is at the Farmer’s Market on Saturday mornings. Bon Appetit!

4. Go ExploringAlthough finding familiar favorites on campus can help to combat homesickness, exploring Davis and its surrounding areas can prove to be a good distraction and a lot of fun. Grab a group of friends and explore Davis or a part of campus that you have yet to see. Explore stores Downtown or take a walk in the gorgeous Arboretum. Don’t be afraid to try something new!

5. Call HomeSometimes when a wave of homesickness arrives, there is only one thing that can make that feeling go away. Calling your parents, a sibling, a friend or even skyping with your pets can be just what you need. The people that you want to talk to back home are probably missing you too. Even if it’s just a quick hello to someone you love, it can make a world of difference.

When in doubt, remember that there are so many people in the same boat as you- feeling homesick is completely normal. Doing something that puts a smile on your face usually helps, whatever that may be.

Kirsten is an English and Communications double major and Professional Writing minor at UC Davis. She enjoys drinking tea, rereading Bridget Jones's Diary, and making Harry Potter references in casual conversation. She loves untranslatable words, Shakespearean insults, and Helen Mirren. After graduation, she hopes to find a job that makes her happy and own an extensive mug collection.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!