10 British TV Shows You Really Should Be Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As the midterms continue, it is important to remember to take time for yourself. For a lot of us, sticking on a TV show is a good way to relax and recharge. From a British student to the collegiettes of UC Davis, I impart a selection of recommendations of British television. Some you may recognize, some you may not, but all are fantastic in their own way.

1)     The Great British Bake Off

This is perhaps the most delightfully British thing that has ever happened. A selection of the best amateur bakers in Britain are put through a series of baking challenges each week. The contestants, the judges, and the baking creations are all unspeakably delightful. Fair warning: you will have an intense craving for cake after watching.

2)     Gavin and Stacey

A marvelous sitcom written by and featuring James Corden before he made his move to the USA to host the Late Late Show. This is a personal favOUrite (yes, you read that right, I just wanted to emphasize the British and more correct spelling of the word) of mine. In the show, a Welsh woman and an Englishman begin dating after speaking for months on the phone, and thus the relationship sparks the storyline for the show. A hilarious cast with a fantastic soundtrack, which you can find on Spotify.

3)     Call the Midwife

Based on the memoirs of Jennifer Worth, the drama series follows the lives of midwives working in Poplar in the East End of London during the 1950s. It celebrates the working women of the time and passes the Bechdel Test countless times in single episodes. It draws focus to many social issues facing women of the time and was deemed “the torchbearer of feminism on television” by the Radio Times.

4)     Miranda

This sitcom written by and starring Miranda Hart is both hilarious and heartwarming. Frequently finding herself in awkward situations, Miranda reminds us that no matter how clumsy and awkward we may be, we are all wonderful. She reminds us all of our self-worth and how to embrace who we are. Miranda also serves as a reminder that we don’t need to be in a relationship to be happy or complete.

5)     Outnumbered

A show about an English family with three children, Outnumbered is a light hearted comedy with some fantastic dialogue. Much of the script is an improv based on the spontaneous hilarity of the young child actors. The show will remind you of a simpler time, and also how funny children can be.

6)     Broadchurch

Broadchurch is a drama following a crime that shakes and shocks a seaside town. The storyline features powerful female professionals in both the police forces and the courtrooms portrayed by some very talented actresses. (And yes, that’s David Tennant!) 

7)     My Mad Fat Diary

Based on the book My Fat, Mad Teenage Diary by Rae Earl, this show tackles very important issues such as mental health, mental illness, self-harm, and body image. This comedy-drama received critical acclaim for its portrayal of the lives of adolescent girls and issues dealing with mental health. The show’s main character, Rae, is a complex character but an incredible one from whom we can learn a lot.

8)     Hollow Crown

CALLING ALL SHAKESPEARE NERDS! This BBC series features incredible actors and actresses in TV versions of Shakespeare’s historical plays. Further your literary education through a marathon of these masterpieces.

9)     The Inbetweeners

This program served as the inspiration for the American remake. But to be honest, you cannot beat the original. Featuring very strong language and very British humOUr, you will be ROFL’ing watching this, as you follow the final school years of four sex-obsessed characters.

10)     Downton Abbey

The best period drama ever made. Need I say more?

GIFS and Images used in this article are not property of Her Campus or the author.

Kirsten is an English and Communications double major and Professional Writing minor at UC Davis. She enjoys drinking tea, rereading Bridget Jones's Diary, and making Harry Potter references in casual conversation. She loves untranslatable words, Shakespearean insults, and Helen Mirren. After graduation, she hopes to find a job that makes her happy and own an extensive mug collection.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!