What Happens After the Happy Ending?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Lately I’ve been watching a lot of romantic comedies. I have no idea why; maybe because I like the idea that no matter what happens, the person that the main character wants to be with ALWAYS ends up with, regardless of circumstance. You can see where my sense of reality is. But the truth my friends is that most of the time it only happens in the movie world. It got me thinking, if these perfect movie couples were to be put in the real world would they last?  So then I started to think about my favorite rom-com movies and the couples in them.

Andie and Blaine (Pretty in Pink)

Pretty in Pink stands at the top of my list, and its just one of those classic romantic comedies I never get tired of watching! The truth is though; I can’t see Andie and Blaine as one of those lasting couples. The reason I think Andie and Blaine wouldn’t work is because even though this couple didn’t care that they came from two different worlds, I feel that their backgrounds would eventually catch up to them. Blaine would have ended up going to some Ivy League school, while Andie would have gone to college locally because she could not afford going to a big school. They might have done the long distance relationship for a while, but in the end the distance would have been too much for them and they would have broken up. And who knows, maybe at that point Duckie could swoop in and a get a real shot with Andie (Yes, I’ll always be Team Duckie).

Cher and Josh (Clueless)

Let’s be real people… don’t you think its kind of weird to be dating your stepbrother? Well okay, technically Josh isn’t Cher’s stepbrother anymore, but just the idea that you once shared the same mom and dad creeps me out a little. I mean I get that Paul Rudd was kind of a stud circa 1995, but even this reason doesn’t justify anything for me. I mean what is going to happen when you introduce him to your friends and family? What if their parents wanted to rekindle their romance? What would that mean for them as a couple? Quite frankly it seems as if none of them thought this through and it’s a disaster waiting to happen.

Kat and Patrick (10 Things I Hate About You)

First off, Heath Ledger is gorgeous. Now that that’s out of my system, I feel like this fictional couple would actually last. They are perfect for one another because they were both misunderstood, and everyone in their high school was afraid of them. Their rebellious personalities allowed them to not be afraid of one another and they were able to find common ground. So kudos to Joseph-Gordon Levitt for being a matchmaker in disguise. Maybe he can help me find my future boyfriend? But then again, I wouldn’t mind being treated to a nice candlelit dinner by Mr. Gordon-Levitt himself.

Mia Garcia

UC Riverside

UC Riverside

UC Riverside