Lothian Dining: Hits & Misses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

After successfully surviving my first quarter of college, I can definitively say I’ve spent more time in the dining hall wolfing down quesedillas than I have in the library.  I may not be your average foodie, but I can certainly tell what’s to like here at the Lothian Dining Hall.  Here are some of my favorite (and not-so-favorite) aspects of R’Side’s Lothian Dining Hall:  

Hits:

• The Seven-Layer Bar.  For some absurdly ridiculous reason this divine delicacy doesn’t appear to be very popular amongst Highlanders.  But honestly, this heavenly brownie-thing is to die for.  If you are fan of chocolate, graham crackers, peanut butter, caramel, and whatever-else-is-in-this-thing, you can willingly gorge yourself to bits with this yummy dessert.  And if it doesn’t suit your taste buds, you’re more than welcome to give it to me (please).  
  • The Cornbread.  In a perfect world, I would find myself sitting in a field full of cornbread.  Lothian Dining Hall may not have a field, but they certainly can provide the cornbread.  I’ve got three words for you: De. Li. Cious.  And don’t get me started on the Thanksgiving Dinner the staff put on last year.  Almost every dish featured some sort of cornbread-y substance to made my heart melt- I just about died from happiness.  Or clogged arteries.  Same thing.   
  • That Turkey-Pesto-Cheese Panini Thing.  My plan to become vegetarian was virtually destroyed the moment I sank my canines into one of these beauties.  One bite and your mouth will be screaming OHMAHGERD.  These delicious sandwiches make a rare appearance at the dining hall but if they ever decide to become available again be sure to grab one.  Or two.  Or three.
  • The Salad Bar.  On the first day of fall quarter, I was a happy camper to discover the plethora of options provided for us herbivores.  If you’re a health freak like me you’ll be delighted to find all sorts of veggies and salad condiments to munch on.
  • The Staff Members In Those White or Black Shirts.  Wow.  Can we talk about profound customer service?  (Sorry.  My “Retail Store Employee Mind-set” is setting in).  I don’t know about you, but I am often greeted by a friendly hello or a warm smile.  Thumbs-up to you guys for exemplifying the true meaning of hard work.

Misses:

• Price.  Every time I swipe my R’Card, a little part of me dies.  Twelve dollars for dinner?  The expense is probably sky-high due to the few (err, perhaps many) residents who chow down on heaps upon heaps of food per meal, and unfortunately those of us with small appetites have to suffer the consequences.  Dear UCR Dining, please consider lowering the meal price for students because that’s a lot of dollah bills comin’ out of my pocket.  Or my parents’ pockets.  Either way, the price we pay to eat is getting a bit excessive.    
  • Ramen bar.  I’m sorry, but I’ve lost count of how many times Ramen has made an appearance at the Lothian Dining Hall.  I don’t know about you but if I wanted Ramen that often I could just go purchase some at the nearby C-Store (and buy some of those Study Buddy Vitamin A things while I’m at it).
  • The Jell-O.  The mass expanse of green, red, or blue Jell-O offered at the dessert bar never seems to disappear.  Perhaps I am out-of-the-loop when it comes to popular food staples at the dining hall, but is Jell-O really that good?
  • The Lack of Cake Cones At the Ice Cream Machine.  Chocolate ice cream and M&M’s just aren’t the same with a sugar cone, in my opinion.  Unfortunately only A-I’s dining hall seems to provide cake cones.  Sad face. 

When it comes to things we do and don’t like about our dining hall, it’s easy to find a thing or two to complain about.  Now that I’ve got my “hits and misses” out of my system, I’ll focus on the positive things our college dining service provides (I’m telling you- the seven-layer bar).  Good Luck this quarter and be sure those all-night study sessions are accompanied by lots of tasty, nutritious treats!