This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The Basics

Name: Ivan Herrera

Age: 24

Major: Business Administration

Fun Fact: Infatuated with Batman

Since it’s your first quarter since transferring to UCR, what has your experience been like thus far?

The transition so far has been smooth with a lot of learning curves. I’m still getting used to the quarter system as opposed to the semester system, but it’s been fun being able to take on the challenge of faster paced classes.

Are you involved on campus at all?

I am currently in Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) Phi Beta Lambda.

What exactly do you do in this particular club?

This club strengthens all your business qualities. For instance, we will go over how to improve your resume and also practice case studies with business scenarios and how you would overcome those particular situations. It also gives you a chance to network different firms and opens up the opportunity for internships.

I understand that this weekend you were one of the few students from UCR to attend a conference in San Francisco with FBLA to compete in the Mr. PBL Pageant. What is the purpose of the pageant and what was your experience like?

The purpose of Mr. PBL is to choose who will represent the state because the club is nationwide. We had the chance to go up there and just see all the nominees from all the different schools. It is so cool because everyone has their own special qualities that make them such a good candidate, so to be there and just learn from all these different guys was truly inspiring. It was also humbling for me to be selected as part of that group because all the guys chosen have these great backgrounds and great ambitions.

Pictured Above: Ivan arriving at the conference with his girlfriend by his side.

What is one of your ambitions?

One of my ambitions is to create one of my own international charities for children, whether it is through orphanages or through stopping world hunger. I have always been someone that wants to help people.

For someone who has not been at UCR too long you already seem to be finding your niche in college. Do you have any advice to those who are looking to be more involved?

Just put yourself out there. It’s normal to be in a new environment and be in your own shell and not wanting to branch out which is normal at first, but just give yourself a shot to see what is out there. There is always going to be a club or activity for someone to get involved in.

Mia Garcia

UC Riverside

UC Riverside

UC Riverside