Campus Celebrity: Josh Zozaya

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

You might recognize Josh Zozaya as that guy from your first-year orientation, the one who cracked jokes as an MC during H-Camp, or from his band, which has played at The Barn on campus (or solo at Her Campus UCR’s Talent Show last week!), maybe you recognize him as the Program Coordinator of A&I, or from any of the basketball, soccer, or baseball games on campus wearing a blue and gold wig and pumping up the crowds!

Now a 5th year and soon to be graduating, Josh splits his time between friends, school, giving back to this campus, while planning for his future.

Major/Minor: Biological Sciences/Music

Hometown: Brownsville, TX 

Favorite band: If I had to pick one it would be Coheed and Cambria

Favorite book: The Count of Monte Cristo

Favorite pastime: Writing music 

Favorite studying place on campus/off: I study in my room, alone, with music blasting.

What do you think is your best attribute? 
I’ve been told I have a uniquely contagious laugh bahahaha

How are you involved on campus? 
I am Vice President of Hylander Hype, Programming Assistant for the Dean of Students, a First Year Peer Mentor, and work as a Program Coordinator at AI Residence Halls.

With Hylander Hype, what did you aim to do? 
Hylander Hype is all about going to school events and having a great time. Athletics events are so much more fun when you have a bunch of people dancing and screaming with you. I don’t see how anyone can do it any other way. We’re just a group of people who love our school and hanging out with people who think the same. If that sounds like you then hit me up!

Why do you think it’s important for every student to support their school and have pride in their campus?Your college experience is what you make of it. Some people, like myself, really want to be here at UCR and love it but sadly some people don’t… But we’re all here anyway so make the most of it! You will never be an undergraduate again. Loving your school and supporting your alma mater will make the experience so much better.

What’s your favorite thing about UCR or Riverside? 
The people. I’ve met the most amazing friends, peers, mentors, and professional staff that have helped me grow on so many different levels and prepare me for the future. I have a second family here.

[pagebreak]

What made you want to pursue your major? 
My dad is my hero. He was a doctor in Mexico and after a lifelong struggle finally became a licensed, practicing physician in the United States when I moved to California. The love/life story of my parents is amazingly beautiful and powerful. I always tell them they should write a book. If they could make it through all their hardships I know I’ll be all right.

You’re graduating this year, any plans for the future? 
I’m applying to Medical school this June, wish me luck!

What inspires you, and keeps you motivated? 
Life is so amazing. I try to look back at the little things everyday. It’s a statistical miracle that I am even alive at this moment so I try to make the most of it.

What are you passionate about? 
Helping people. I have a lot of varying interests ranging from music, exercise, science, student affairs, ecology, etc. but I recently realized that helping people is a common theme within all of these fields. Whether it is through music, teaching, or medicine I want to help others achieve their full potential. I think it’s our responsibility as human beings to help others.

Is there anything you wish you had done differently while here at UCR? Or to tell first years to do before they leave? 
I wish I got involved sooner. My first year and a half is all blurred into one memory. I had a great time, but I feel like I did nothing for anyone and barely even for myself. It’s almost like I didn’t really start college until halfway through my sophomore year. So don’t hesitate!

Is there anything else you’d like us to know about you? I consider myself to be a jack of all trades… but master of none hahaha

Quote to live by? 
”You can’t build a reputation on what you are GOING to do” – Henry Ford 
Less talking more doing!