5 Ways To Beat The UCR Heat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.
We can all tell that summer is quickly approaching by the sudden temperature change. Riverside is notorious for having hot weather during the spring and summer, especially temperatures reaching over a scorching 100 degrees. I personally do not like extreme hot weather, but here are five ways to beat the Riverside heat.

1. Treat Yourself To A Nice Cool Treat

You know you’ve been working hard for that summer body. Well take a break and grab yourself a cool treat! It’s okay to reward yourself once in a while and why not go all out by treating yourself out for some ice cream or maybe even shaved ice! If you’re looking for a healthy alternative option, you can also indulge in some frozen yogurt or eat chilled fruit.

2. Dress For The Weather

Hot weather means it’s time to bust out those cute high waisted shorts and crop top you’ve been dying to wear. Wear minimal and lightweight clothing that’ll help ventilate air in and out of your body. Stay away from dark shades like black because they tend to absorb more heat. 

3. Take A Trip To The Beach Or Go Swimming

If it’s the weekend, try planning a trip to the beach. You know you want that sun kissed tan skin! If the beach is too far, swimming in the pool of your backyard can also be a great way to cool off. If you don’t have a pool, try looking in to community pools nearby. Remember to always apply sunscreen! It’s fun and at the same time you’re burning calories! If worse comes to worse, take a cold shower.

4. Close All Windows And Curtains

It may sound silly, but keeping windows shut and closing all curtains actually keeps the heat out! You can also try turning off all electronics or any heat sources that require electricity, which can generate heat. If you have the AC or fan on, it’ll also keep the cool air in.

5. Keep Hydrated

It’s as simple as it sounds! Drinking water frequently throughout the day will keep you hydrated and cool. If you don’t like the taste of plain water, adding fruit can help infuse your water with nutrients and flavor. It is suggested that you drink about 8 ounces or 1.9 liters of water a day.
I'm currently a sophomore at UCR, Psycology major. I like scrapbooking and reading fashion blogs on my spare time, I love shopping, especially when I grab an awesome deal
UC Riverside

UC Riverside