10 Must See Summer Movies!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

This year, there have been several big movie releases like The Vow, The Five Year Engagement, Titanic 3D and most recently The Avengers. With the success of The Avengers at the box office, many speculate whether some of these summer movies will be blockbusters, we will have to wait and see. In the mean time, I have prepared a list of this summer’s must see movies.

10. Men in Black 3 (Release Date May 25) Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones reunite to make the final installment of the Men in Black series. Alien monitoring duos Agent J (Will Smith) and Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) are back to protect Earth from aliens and monsters that are grotesque looking but are entertaining to watch.

9. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days (Release Date: August 3) So this movie based on a kid’s book may not be the most exciting, but your siblings, cousins, or kids will love it. This will be a hilarious G-rated movie. If you have seen the previous two movies, then you most definitely want to see Greg Heffley and what he is up to this summer.

8. Snow White and the Huntsman (Release Date: June 1) Most of us have heard or read
the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. This Snow White is played by Twilight actress Kristen Stewart, is a more dark and action filled than the typical fairy tale. Snow White is strong and less vulnerable, but the film still has an emotional story line and follows part of the original story line. If you love girls in action, this is the movie to see!

7. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted (Release Date: June 8) Alex the Lion and Marty the Zebra are back for another installment of Madagascar. In this movie, Alex, Marty, Gloria and Melman are still trying to travel back to their home in the Big Apple. Their journey takes them on an adventure-filled trip to Europe. This is a great sequel to take your kids to watch with comedic and emotional performances by the characters.

6. Prometheus (Release Date: June 8) What is Prometheus? This film is an action
packed sci-fi horror movie that takes you to a universe we would have never thought of. This multi-genre film is about a group that finds a clue about mankind on Earth which leads them to treacherous missions in the darkest places of the universe. If you enjoy watching fictional movies or just love action thrillers then this movie will fulfill your needs.

[pagebreak]

5. Ice Age: Continental Drift (Release Date: July 13) Manny, Diego and Sid are back as the three musketeers of the ice age. In this film, they are embarking on an adventure after their habitat starts melting and drifting. This animated series was created in 2002 and this film celebrates its ten-year anniversary. This film will demonstrate adventures that not only kids will enjoy, but teens and adults as well.

4. Premium Rush (Release Date August 24) Do you remember the cutie from (500)
Days of Summer? Well he is back in this feature film about a bike messenger that receives a package to deliver but is then followed by a cop, taking you all around the city in action filled sequences. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a professional actor that can come out in romantic, comedic and dramatic movies and you will love him once you see him.

3. Ted (Release Date: July 13) The creator of “Family Guy,” Seth MacFarlane, wrote and directed this movie where John (played by Mark Wahlberg) and his Teddy Bear Ted are living life together. What! A talking teddy bear? Apparently Ted is alive because of John’s childhood wish coming true. Ted is an R-rated movie that is funny for mature audiences, but if you really laugh your butt off to “Family Guy,” you will surely enjoy this movie!

2. The Bourne Legacy (Release Date: August 3) Have you ever seen The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, or The Bourne Ultimatum? If you have, then you know already that this film is a spin-off of the last three. If you have not, this film is about a CIA operative who lost his identity and was ordered to be killed by his bosses. Aaron (played by Jeremy Renner) is the spin-off character; Jason Bourne (played by Matt Damon) was formerly the main character. This action packed film would be great to take your boyfriend out on a date to.
[pagebreak]

1. The Amazing Spiderman (Release Date: July 3) and The Dark Knight Rises (Release Date: July 20) I could not choose between two of the most anticipated films of the summer. The Amazing Spiderman and The Dark Knight Rises! The Amazing Spiderman has an entirely different plot and storyline compared to the previous Spiderman films, but is still filled with web packed cities and Spiderman protecting people from evil. In The Dark Knight Rises, Batman returns along with a new terrorist named Bane, who overwhelms the city and finds a way to publicly name Batman as the “enemy.” Bruce Wayne is willing to protect his city even if he is branded as a villain. These two films will be released the same month, and it will be up to box office receipts to prove which people like most.

Monica Pena is a sophmore at the University of California Riverside and is originally from the valley of San Fernando in the city of Los Angeles. Monica and her room mate Nicole Danille Matinez both enjoy writing and are now Co founders of the UC Riverside Her Campus Branch. Monica dreams of moving to New York and going to Law School. Aside from Law school, she is a fanatic of fashion and writing and also wants to pursue a career in journalism.