UCI’s Newest Addition: A Secret New Starbucks and Bakery Café

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

By late noon temperatures reached as high as the 80s, and I decided that this was the perfect time to pick up a nice cool drink at Starbucks. The line however, was wrapped around the shop and passed the door. There was no way I was going to wait that long in the stuffy café.

Luckily, I remembered the new Starbucks that opened up in the new Paul Merage building in the Social Sciences area. It was my first time there, and I noticed with relief that there was almost no line. I got my regular tall iced green tea latte sweetened and left the building in less than five minutes, but not without snapping a few candid shots.

The shape of the shop was a peculiar triangular shape. They put up a sign asking you to go through a certain door because there is such a narrow walkway inside. It was more like a miniature coffee shop than a café. Everything was new and sparkly as you would expect from a grand opening, but the aura of the place was cozy and modest.

Walking into the store, I noticed the diagonal counter with your typical Starbucks pastries and snacks. Everything is laid out like the meat section in a marketplace, all in one tidy row. Then at the end there is an exit door. The function of the shop is similar to an assembly line, but of coffee. You’re in then you’re out. It’s simple, quick, and easy unlike the loud bustling Starbucks café at Student Center.

But of course, being on a college campus, it would not be complete without a study spot. Right outside the shop is a little lounge area with soft cushions and patio umbrellas where students can either socialize in big groups or study comfortably on their own.

I noticed that wasn’t the only place to sit down and enjoy your coffee though. If you walk further into the building, past the Starbucks, there is an even larger sitting and eating area filled with brand new tables and chairs, also accompanied by umbrellas. There is plenty of space and not many people. The entire space is shaded and kept cool by the surrounding building, making it the perfect spot to escape from the heat.

Starbucks was not the only new shop that opened here though. UCI now has Au Bon Pain Café and Bakery. Here they have soups, sandwiches, breakfast wraps, and salads. Now, if you are ever rushing out without any food in your stomach, you can grab a bowl of soup here with a sandwich on your way to class. They have plenty of different soup flavors to choose from.

There are so many good things about this new building and area. We’re used to Irvine being clean and comfortable, but a fresh building on campus that we anteaters can explore and takeover is always a welcome addition. Next time you are near the Social Sciences, don’t forget to stop by and check out the Paul Merage building and to grab a cup of Starbucks along the way. 

Priscilla is currently studying English and Literary Journalism with an Emphasis on Creative Writing. She has been writing for Her Campus since 2014 and is now one of the two leading editors of her chapter. Besides writing, she enjoys archery, learning Dutch, trying out new foods, and hiking. After graduating, she plans to publish a book series for young adults.
...