Homage to the Earth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

April 22 marked the day we officially celebrated the beauty and bountiful resources our earth has to offer. Upon initial reaction to this event, many of us may have felt overwhelmed with all the environmental concerns we face on the planet. Nevertheless, our planet has endured through the alterations we’ve made to its natural state, from the natural resources we’ve extracted to pollutants we emitted.

But Earth Day also reminds us to educate ourselves about our own actions and the collective effect of our decisions upon the environment. For instance, the decision to buy a $0.99 head of lettuce produce on a large-scale farm versus a $1.50 organic head of lettuce indicates our preferences to grocery store owners and farmers. By choosing to buy the head of lettuce produced on a large-scale farm that uses GMOs, petroleum based fertilizers, and pesticides, we are indirectly supporting unsustainable farming practices. What we don’t end up seeing, is the damage caused by the chemicals left behind and the web of effects it has upon the surrounding environment. Runoff from watering these farms that use pesticides and petroleum based fertilizers drain into ponds, lakes, and other stagnant bodies of water, thus forming algal blooms that reduce the oxygen levels in water and produce toxins that end up killing fish, birds, and animals that rely on untainted bodies of water to sustain life.

This is just one tiny factor that plays a role in our interaction with our planet. Think about the cars you drive, the production of clothes you buy, the trash you produce. It all adds up, and the effects are global. But what we really should be thinking about is whether or not we want to take action, individually and collectively. Support for environmental policies aimed at preserving natural resources and choosing to take responsibility for the decisions we make and damage we have caused is a thought that shouldn’t cross our minds on a single day. It’s a thought that should occur regularly, as we go on with our busy lives and make decisions throughout the day.

The significance of Earth Day is extreme. At least I would think it is if it’s celebrating a planet that holds over seven billion people, each making decisions on a daily basis. Take the time to pay homage to the generosity of our planet. Appreciate its natural wonders and look for ways to alter your daily life to be more environmentally sustainable.

Christine Chen

UC Irvine '19

Christine is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UC Irvine. In her free time, she enjoys reading books, listening to business tech podcasts, running, and making people smile! :)
Crystel Maalouf

UC Irvine '18

.