The Highlights You Don’t Want To Miss From the 86th Annual Academy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

The Oscars are something I look forward to every year. There’s something about watching the most talented and beautiful people in Hollywood gather for one night to celebrate the best films over the past year is just exciting to me.  I especially love watching the opening segment where the host makes several blights and jokes at the expense of the celebrities. If you were not able to tune in this year or simply want to relive the night, here are the highlights you should not miss. 

Sherlock Photobombs U2

The night started out on a playful note when our very own Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays the notable Sherlock Holmes, hilariously photobombed U2 (who, by the way, gave an excellent performance of their original song “Ordinary Love”). The band, oblivious to the scene behind them, will undoubtedly have a very memorable photo from the night. 

J. Law Fall 2.0

So…Jennifer Lawrence fell. Again. Though she may have thought her tumble would have gone unnoticed since it was on the Red Carpet before the show even began, cameras were sure to pinpoint their attention on her. Luckily, it was forgotten about for the rest of the evening! That’s what I would have said if Ellen did not discuss her spill in depth and continuously make Jennifer relive the nightmare even after she jokingly reassured her that “no one needs to know that. I am not going to mention that.” Personally, I think it’s all an act that she needs to keep up so that she does not blow her cover as an undercover angel.

Jared Leto’s Hair

Ok, this highlight is not about Jared’s hair—though it could very well have won an Oscar of its own—but is rather about the beautiful speech he delivered after accepting his win for Best Supporting Actor in Dallas Buyers Club. He reminded people that in the midst of all the glamour and extravagance, it’s important to honor the struggles of people in places like Venezuela and Ukraine. Additionally, Leto gave an honest tribute to the 36 million around the world suffering from AIDS. He topped it all off by dedicating his win to his mother, who was his date for the night. So, he basically just became the most desired rocker-actor-activist-momma’s boy ever. 

“Adele Nazeem”

In discussing the best moments of the night, we cannot fail to mention the both hilarious and painful moment when John Travolta went to present Idina Menzel for her performance of “Let It Go” and completely butchered the talented singer’s name by referring to her as “Adele Nazeem.” You can go Travoltify your name here: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/low_concept/2014/03/john_travolta_called_idina_menzel_adele_dazeem_what_s_your_travolta_name.html. Sincerely, Seonaidh Hargision.

Karen O Performs ‘The Moon Song’

Perfection.

Best Selfie…Ever

The award for Best Selfie of the night has to go to Ellen’s star-studded selfie with superstars like Angelina Jolie, Merly Streep, and Kevin Spacey. The goal was to take a picture that would garner the most re-tweets ever on Twitter and the picture shattered records when it hit a million re-tweets within the hour. Also, Jennifer Lawrence’s smile is out of control. Too much J. Law love? Too bad. 

Snack Time

My personal favorite moment of the Oscar’s had to be when Ellen jokingly took an order for pizza early in the night and then actually delivered on her promise, bringing the pizza delivery man out onto the stage for all the world to see. Stars such Jared Leto swiped pieces quickly and J. Law downed a slice before Ellen could even ask if she wanted a slice, it seems. A pregnant Kerry Washington even nabbed two pieces as she claimed she was eating for two. This all occurred while Mr. Pitt himself eagerly handed out paper plates. 

Lupita’s Win

Despite my reverence of J. Law and pizza, the moment that actually had me dabbing at my eyes with the end of my ratty t-shirt was when Lupita Nyong’o won for Best Supporting Actress for 12 Years a Slave. The sheer shock and surprise that graced her face at the mention of her name was a true fairytale moment of a girl who, despite her humble backgrounds, had accomplished so much in such a short span of time. This modesty carried out into her lovely speech when she breathlessly stated “it does not escape for me for one moment that so much joy in my life is thanks to so much pain in someone else’s.” While the Oscar’s may not be everyone’s preferred form of entertainment, this moment was a joy for all. 

Shadi Houshangi is a second-year Public Health Policy major at the University of California, Irvine. In addition to being a writer for Her Campus, she is involved with ASUCI as both an intern for the Festivals Commission as well as the Campus Climate Commission within the Office of the President. Her interests can be contained to anything that has to do with food or film.
...