Anteater Dwellings: A Guide to UCI Housing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

In the presence of a multitude of housing options around Irvine, UCI students each year face the task of searching for a place to live, weighing affordability, amenities, and location or finding anywhere that will take them last minute.  On top of these factors, the range of communities following the first year dorming varies from the on-campus and American Campus Communities to the off-campus apartments in the surrounding areas of UCI.  Separating out all these differences and preferences can be stressful, but should not complicate the process of finding a new home.  For the freshman taking advantage of the two-year housing guarantee or the student wishing for a change of scenery, the following guide compares the many choices offered around the campus, includes housing hints gathered from fellow students, and lists rates and information regarding the 2013-2014 school year. 

Arroyo Vista

What: Theme and Greek housing serving students with similar interests and majors, residential hall-feel

Where: Next to the ARC; walk and shuttle to campus

Rates: Academic year – $607 monthly (double room); separate rates for summer contracts

Features: Shared kitchen and bathrooms, rooms provided with desk, chair, and bed, laundry room, common area with TV, study rooms, community events organized by housing assistants, one housing assistant per two houses.

Community Amenities: Community center with computers, recreation room with TV and pool and foosball table, and conference room, community garden, basketball courts.

Pros: convenient parking, access to parties in other houses, close to the ARC, Albertsons, and all the bus lines.

Cons: noise from dance crew practices, parties, communal bathrooms and kitchens get dirty. 

Campus Village Apartments

Where: Behind biological sciences side of campus

Rates: Academic year, $504 monthly (unfurnished), $569 monthly (furnished); separate rates for summer contracts

Features: Shared kitchen, dining area, one bathroom, and living room with sofa and coffee table, balcony for second floor apartments, desks, chairs, and beds provided in rooms.

Community Amenities: study rooms, laundry rooms, community center with fitness center, piano, and game room, wellness center, community programs organized by RA’s.

Pros: Community Center sells scantrons and items at lower prices than campus vending machines, extremely convenient location for science majors, easy to invite people to study or hang out.

Cons: not the prettiest place to live, small living spaces, people keep to their own apartments, expensive parking.

American Campus Communities:

All apartments in the ACC are furnished and include a living room, dining space, bathrooms depending on occupancy size, and a kitchen with a refrigerator, microwave, stove, and oven.  Cable TV, internet, and air conditioning are available and laundry rooms, study lounges, shuttle stops, and barbeque grills are located around the property.  With the exception of Puerta del Sol, parking permits are purchased separately.  All community residents have access to other pools, recreation centers, and fitness centers, must follow community rules (quiet hours, etc.) enforced by community assistants (CA’s), and may participate in community programs that offer fun activities and free food.  The features below mention amenities and facts unique to each community.  Check their respective websites and housing offices for updated floor plans and leasing agreements, which include June-June, August-August, and September-September.

1. Vista del Campo

Where: Behind the ARC

Rates: http://vistadelcampoliving.com/

Features: Basketball and sand volleyball courts, computer center, theater, apartment patio and balcony, utility included in rent, full sized beds, single rooms

Pros: Your own room, spacious, has its own parking lot, $100 towards electricity bill paid for, best deal for the space you get.

Cons: VDC parking permits will not work in on-campus parking garages, not very close to campus.

2. Vista del Campo Norte

Where: Across from Arroyo Vista and Camino del Sol

Rates: http://vistadelcamponorteliving.com/

Features: Computer center, free printing, cable/utilities included in rent, twin-extra long beds

Pros: cheaper for own room, nice atmosphere, can take any shuttle service from campus, within walking distance to Albertsons.

Cons: Cheap quality of appliances and carpeting, small living space, poor cell reception everywhere except the fourth floor, thin walls.

3. Camino del Sol

Where: Behind the ARC, next to Arroyo Vista

Rates: http://caminodelsolliving.com/

Features: Townhome style apartments, full-sized extra long beds, pool, theater, fitness center

Pros: Nice outdoor patios, separate rooms, washer and dryer included in the apartment.

Cons: Expensive, far from parking and only 20 minute parking near apartments, terrible cell signal, 3-story townhouse, thin walls.

4. Puerta del Sol

Where: Across the street from Middle Earth and Social Sciences area of campus, next to Campus Plaza shopping center and the police station

Rates: http://puertadelsolliving.com/

Features: Free parking at the ARC, $50 laundry card, free printing, ceiling fans, twin-sized beds in shared rooms, all hardwood floors, separate electric bill in addition to rent each month

Pros: Closest ACC to campus, basically free laundry, one of the newest complexes.

Cons: Shared rooms do not provide personal desks and chairs, noisy leather couches, noisy main roads, small bedrooms, hearing people living above and below you, sensitive fire alarms, ants on the bottom floors, 10 minute walk to your car at the ARC, floors get dusty quickly.

Off-Campus Housing

1. University Town Center Apartments – Harvard, Cornell, Berkeley, Columbia, Ambrose, Dartmouth, Stanford Court

Where: Around UTC and down Culver; walk or shuttle to campus

Rates: http://www.rental-living.com/UCI-Living/Default.aspx

Features: Pets allowed but fees apply, kitchen with refrigerator, microwave, stove, and oven, air conditioning, Cable TV and internet included, separate utility bills.

Community Amenities: Pools, laundry rooms, picnic areas, study center, gym, clubhouse

Pros: no RA’s or CA’s, parking included, close to campus, near Albertsons (Cornell, Columbia, Dartmouth), near UTC (Stanford, Berkeley, Harvard), new appliances and building (Berkeley), use of all other courts’ facilities.

Cons: not furnished, hearing outside noise, high rent not including utilities, small kitchen and bedroom (Cornell), being conscious of electric and water use, far from friends in other communities, no socializing events.   

2. Park West Apartments

Where: Park View Lane down Culver, 5-10 minute drive from campus; drive, bike or shuttle to campus

Rates: http://www.rental-living.com/Communities/Park-West/Prices-And-Floorplans/

Community Features: Tennis courts, basketball courts, pool, pets allowed.

Pros: cheap, conveniently located near shopping plaza with grocery store, 405 freeway, and gas stations.

Cons: Noisy, not always clean, mold, bugs, no sense of community, crowded parking lot, sometimes people park in your spot.

3. Newport Beach Rentals

Where: 15-20 minutes from campus

Rates: Online prices vary; property signs around Newport have phone numbers for rental inquiries.

Features: Varies with each community

Pros: Beautiful area, living on the beach and near bars.

Cons: Far from campus, strict landlords, finding parking, the police.

General Housing Tips

• Use Facebook pages to look for people sub-leasing their apartments year-round.
  • Be polite to roommates, and roommate requests may not always be honored.
  • Beware of deadlines – dates for lease renewals and acceptance of applications vary in each community. 
  • Visit the property or a room to get a feel for the community.
  • Take advantage of community programs if offered for freebies and to meet other people.
Celina is a third year economics major at UC Irvine.  Her interests include playing sports, reading the news and books, and trying new food.  Besides being a writer for Her Campus, Celina is also a member of Active Minds, a mental health awareness club, and the karate club at UCI and is a site supervisor for an outreach program for high school freshmen.  
...