This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Same state, same things, right? This is definitely not the case when it comes to the widely encompassing Golden State of California. Here are the top four differences between Southern California and Northern California; some of these contrasts may seem obvious, while some are subtler.

Weather

Almost everyday in SoCal, you will open your window to a beautiful breeze and a gentle sunlight. The temperature stays pretty constant, usually between 65 to 80 degrees (disregarding the insane 90 degree heat wave that hit Irvine last week). However, during February in NorCal, it is hardly ever above 65 degrees. The mornings are typically groggy, and filled with fog. Towards early afternoon, the fog begins to clear off to reveal a sunny, but still chilly, winter day.

Fashion

It is true that people in SoCal care much more about how they look. With a culture more heavily based around beauty and fitness, SoCal typically has more Nike, Lulu Lemon, and Brandy Melville wearers than you would typically find in NorCal. People in NorCal are content with their Old Navy, occasional splurges at Anthropologie, and their favorite: Target.

Food

SoCal has better options for savory and sweet meals. It has its own amazing food options such as Urban Plates, Creamistry, and Blaze Pizza. NorCal has a lot of what SoCal already has (nothing too authentic) such as In-n-Out, Chick-Fil-A, and so forth. However, when it comes to boba (tapioca balls), SoCal is deprived of the famous T-Pumps found only up in NorCal.

Activities

NorCal focuses more on outdoor activities such as hiking and biking while SoCal seems to be at the gym. Furthermore, it is more likely to see a NorCal citizen doing an outdoor activity while it is likelier to see a SoCal citizen hitting up the mall or going to a music festival.

There are many differences between NorCal and SoCal, but those differences are what make California such an abundant, varied, and beautiful state!