This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Good communication is one of the most important parts of a relationship whether it is casual dating, a serious love, or a friendship. Here are the best tips for communication that your relationship needs to practice ASAP.

1. Use “I feel” statements. Saying “I feel…” instead of accusatory statements like “you said…,” “you did…,” or “you’re saying…,” disarms the situation and allows for an open channel to talk about how each of you feel. This way, the problem can be solved with limited conflict.

2. If something bugs you, say it. If you let something that annoys you sit and boil without explaining what it is, it can result in resentment towards each other or an explosive argument later on. Bottom line: it’s unhealthy to hide your feelings.

3. Know when to let things go. This is a similar concept to choosing your battles. Sometimes, you have to take a step back and look at the problem objectively and know when to take a deep breath and let it go.

4. Apologize. Know when you’re in the wrong and when to say you’re sorry. But make sure you understand and meaningfully apologize.

5. Use your manners by saying “please” and “thank you.” Please and thank you go a long way. Just because you have known someone for a long time, it doesn’t mean that your manners can go out the window. It is important to be pleasant and civil, especially to the people that you care about.

6. Show appreciation. This goes hand in hand with #5. Tell the people that you care about that you appreciate them or what they said or did. Showing and receiving appreciation makes everyone happy and is a positive reinforcement in your relationship.  

7. Be direct and honest. Being dishonest helps no one. It is important to directly say how you feel and not beat around the bush. Being clear also helps to avoid confusion or misunderstanding.

8. Listen. It is important to listen and understand. You need to be able to fully focus on what the person is telling you without being distracted by your own thoughts on the situation or only focusing on how you feel without being open-minded.

9. Use kind words. There is no point in using mean words or verbally attacking the people that you care about even if you are upset. You can and should explain how you feel without needing to be rude. Always choose kindness.

10. What’s done is done. Bringing up past arguments in current disagreements does absolutely nothing but escalate the argument and make the issue harder to resolve. Plus, #2 and #3 are there to make sure this wouldn’t be a problem.  

Photographer and writer studying art and literary journalism at UCI. I like food, fashion and photos.
Natalia Cabrera

UC Irvine '18

Hi! My name is Nat and I am a third year student at UC Irvine. I'm proud to call sunny Los Angeles my hometown.  I love being a tourist in my own city; going to museums, trying new places to eat, and exploring locations for cute photo-ops!