jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

This, Not That: Fix Your Fall Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

UC Davis isn’t exactly known for its style-loving students, but the good news is that against the casual crowd you can stand out and impress by making a few tweaks to your fall wardrobe.

Wear Cardigans, Not Hoodies

Oh dear, the ever-faithful UC Davis hoodie, keeping us warm since… well, a little too long. There’s nothing that says “I don’t care” like wearing a baggy hoodie to class every morning. The good news is that cardigans are just as warm and comfortable, look far more professional, and allow you to wear your summer tank tops and tees into the chillier months of the year. Look for merino-blend cardigans that can hold up to multiple washes without pilling. Make sure you lay them flat to dry–dryers just aren’t made for sweaters. Avoid high-maintenance materials like cashmere; a busy woman like you doesn’t have time to delicately hand-wash things in the sink.

Wear Flats and Boots, Not Sneakers and Uggs

I understand that there is a time and place for sneakers and Uggs. However, if you are trying to look put-together and worthy of being chosen for something (like a job or an internship), these shoes do absolutely nothing for you. Sneakers, like colorful Converse and Vans, are tricky to pull off without looking juvenile (it can be done, but it’s not for the inexperienced), and Uggs are basically a lame excuse to wear slippers 24/7. Just don’t do it.

Wear Real Pants, Not Leggings

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a woman who has fallen victim to the idea that leggings are pants. Leggings are wonderful to wear underneath dresses and very, very long shirts, but if your shirt or dress doesn’t come a good few inches past your crotch-area, it looks tacky and a bit like your primary goal in life is to find a man, any man. Since leggings were never designed to be pants, we can see the color of your underwear when the light shines. So please, just put your pants back on.

Wear a Wool Coat, Not Your North Face Jacket

I love my snuggly North Face jacket, and I’ll be wearing it an awful lot this fall, but when I can someday afford a real, grown-up coat, I’ll retire the old thing to the back of my closet. A wool coat just looks fabulous and can be thrown over any outfit to upgrade your look. If you can afford to buy a coat, consider taking it to a tailor to make it perfectly fit your body. Meanwhile, if you can’t afford a coat, make sure you wear your North Face jacket with cute scarves and shoes to dress it up. I’ll be doing the same!

Wear a Large Bag, Not a Backpack

I’m not sure why, but carting around a textbook or two in a large, simple purse or messenger bag can look really put-together. Wear one that you don’t mind getting a little beat up-  you have to put that thing on dirty floors and germy desks. (Okay, I admit this one is not so practical if you have to ride your bike everywhere, in which case please wear a backpack or a messenger bag so you don’t fall over trying to balance a huge tote on one arm!)

Rachel is majoring in English at UC Davis and has a passion for sharing tips on living happily and stylishly on a budget, among other exciting hobbies. She loves cats, Pomeranians, anything covered in chocolate, earl grey tea, and her husband, a handsome UC Davis graduate. You'll find her lost somewhere in the halls of Voorhies, or in the frozen aisle of Trader Joe's stocking up on delectable turkey meatballs. She loves to write and hopes her articles add a little extra joy to your busy life!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!