How to Look Good on House Boats 2011

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

If you’re anything like my roommates and I, you too have been counting down the days til the seventy-two hours of beautiful, inebriated bliss that defines Memorial Day weekend at Lake Shasta! As a third year, houseboat veteran, I will admit to de-tagging a majority of the Facebook photos taken during this weekend of debauchery. The bare necessity of a shower is considered a rare luxury on a houseboat over come by at least fifteen girls, while a full face of makeup will make you stand out as much as the token sober friend. To find the happy medium between looking homeless and looking out of place on Slaughterhouse Island, here are a few tricks you can use to achieve superb houseboat hygiene, or at least fake it.

1. Pre-mix your foundation with a moisturizer that contains SPF. In your drunken state, the last thing you are going to think about is reapplying your foundation so you can kill two birds with one stone when applying your sunscreen.

2. Klorane Dry shampoo! This best kept secret will make your three-days dirty hair look sparklingly clean and as voluminous as day one. You can find this one at Sephora or others like it at Rite Aid. ($16)

3. Covergirl Last blast Volume Water Proof mascara. ($5)

4. It’s time to hit up Walmart ladies! Neon O.P. neon bathing suits are deceivingly cute and go for around five dollars apiece! Do not wear nice bathing suits unless you are okay with having them turn red from the clay.

5. Braids will become your best friend on houseboats! One way to tame your mane is by French braiding your bangs. This will keep your hair polished, cute, and solve all of your facial sweating problems.

6. Baby wipes/Wet Ones.

7. Bug spray! You will most likely spend a night under the stars and no one wants to rock itchy red bug bites. ($6.99)

8. Though this may seem obvious, wear sunscreen! No one wants to come home looking like a lobster!

9. Giselle couldn’t even make water shoes look good, let alone rock a pair of crocs. For this unavoidable fashion faux pas, stick with a classic black pair.

10. Finally, get a tan girl! Technology in tanning has come a long way! You can achieve an even tan without visiting the salon by applying Fake Bake Airbrush Tan sold online and at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.