This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It may be difficult to perceive poor body image as a real, growing problem for men. Too often we assume that they don’t care about their appearances. In actuality, college men are under as much pressure as we are to achieve an idealized physique. The toned, chiseled body is admired so greatly that it makes trashy movies worth seeing. Remember all the hullaballoo over Magic Mike?

It’s no secret that the media contributes to poor body image. But sometimes we forget how much our own words and actions impact men’s perceptions of themselves. In order to have a positive impact, we must: 

Express our disdain for the media. Some of us like to drool over the hunky celebrities gracing our screens. Some of us also like to fragment them into different muscle groups: biceps, abs, and so forth. But instead of reinforcing these images, let’s comment on how biased and dehumanizing they are. The more we blame the media for inventing unrealistic standards, the less men will blame themselves for falling short of them.

Compliment our friends, boyfriends, and husbands on their inner qualities. It’s easy for men to get wrapped up in their appearances if they know how much we admire their superficial qualities. The number of comments we make about the size of men’s genitals is alarmingly high! But if , for example, we remind them how much we love their intelligence, they might make studying a top priority. At the same time, they might feel less pressured to over-exercise, use steroids, and consume unhealthy protein bars.

Widen our search for “Mr. right.” We throw a lot of worthy men out of the dating game by insisting on specific physical attributes. For instance, some of us refuse to date men who are shorter than us. However, by considering their hobbies, goals, and personalities, we can create an atmosphere of acceptance and appreciation for different body types. We can also give more men the confidence to date.

Empathize. It’s easy to put ourselves in men’s shoes since many of us have battled (or still battle) our own body image issues. It may be painful at first, but sharing those battles can be a great healing device for men and for ourselves because it can help us all feel bonded, validated, and accepted.  

Megan Taylor Hartenstein is an English major and Women's Studies minor at the University of California, Davis. Give her something to write with, and she'll create a masterpiece. While she loves journalism and writing short stories, her dream is to become a television or film writer. Megan is a proud feminist, and loves to incorporate feminist principles in everything she writes.       
Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.