Why You Should Appreciate Your Family Visiting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

A lot of times when your family comes to visit you at college, the experience is hectic and stressful, from the preparation until the send off you can constantly feel as though you must impress them to the best of your abilities.  Whether that means having an immaculate dorm room, or dressing like you’re going to an interview, we all want to show our families that we’re doing fine all by ourselves thanks.  The unfortunate part of this is that we often forget to enjoy the time that we get to spend with our families and instead spend that time irritated just waiting for them to leave.  

Why is it a good thing that your family is coming to visit you?

1. Well for starters you’ll most likely get free food out of the deal.

When your family comes to visit they will likely ask you what restaurants you would like to eat out, and what place is good.  Now, for most of us, we will just give them a questioning look since it’s not like we go out to nice restaurants with our friends(we’ve probably spent the past few weeks eating microwave frozen meals or crying about croads).  Just think about how great a nice dinner will taste, even though we all know a homecooked meal would be the best.  

2. They’re genuinely excited to see you.

It might feel weird to think that you could have not always gotten along with your family, and then all of the sudden they miss you so much that they have to tell you about it-everyday.  But when someone is genuinely excited to see you, it feels good.  Your family loves and appreciates you, and when you go to a large school you can often forget that there are people who care about your well-being.  

3. You get to show them who you have become.

Now don’t you go and tell me you haven’t been changing on an hourly basis during your time at college, I’m sure your family knows that you have been as well.  But, they’re probably excited and interested in seeing who you have been becoming, and how this experience is helping you grow.  I know that it is almost an instinct to put on this act and try to show them just how successful you have become, and how busy you are, but they’ll probably be happier just to see what you have really been doing with your time.  

UC Berkeley class of 2021. My heart is in the mountains, and with any corgi I see. I'm interested in writing, yoga, running, hiking, boxing, playing piano, music, adventures, and studying psychology and anthropology.
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.