What I’ve Learned in the Last Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

In the last twenty years of my life,

I’ve learned

That there is a flickering light despite the dimmest of situations you may be facing, that you have it in you five times more than you could ever imagine, that in the moments you doubt yourself it’s a chance for you to prove yourself wrong

That most people won’t care and don’t care about your well-being, that you have to be strictly selective about who you open up to as the people around you affect your goals, your mentality, your capacity to love, that regardless of whether a person is a part of your inner circle, your actions are best-motivated with empathy

That you should question every single status quo, that before you jump to an agreement that everyone else has, question it, hold your opinions to a high standard, evaluate everything you know and everything you believe so that when someone else begins to question it, you have already asked yourself and solidified all that you believe

That the value of money is all about what you make it, how you place it in your life, that putting wealth on a pedestal is the surest and easiest method of gaining unhappiness, remember that being worry-free is a great goal but instead of focusing on the materialistic desires, focus on what you hope to give back in the process of getting where you want to be

That planning everything out to the T is wonderful if it relieves your worries or gives you focus for the day but that on occasion, flexibility and spontaneity reminds you of why life is worth living, that taking your nose out of the to-do list a couple minutes is beneficial

That every soul will live entirely different lifestyles than you, and that individuality and sexuality and religion and everything that is a choice is an amazing form of self-expression which leaves no space for criticism

That not keeping your word is self-destructive in the sense that you devalue the weight of your words to other people and even more importantly, yourself; you forget that your words and the promises you make to yourself should be upheld and that you either learn to commit or you fail to follow through; both are within your capability

That your body is a limitation in certain manners, that you have to keep it fed and well-rested, but that it is the greatest tangible thing in this world that you own; that if you haven’t begun to take care of it properly, it is not too late to start, that if you develop a love for your body, it’s slightly easier to love your mind

That in the midst of a raging storms in your emotions or in your thoughts, in your worries, in your fears of not being enough, surrounding yourself with silence is where clarity will reach you best and it’ll remind you that all will be well

That this life is dynamic and people come and go more easily than we prefer but so do events, that the bad will pass so ride it out and that the highs run their course as well, so cherish it

That feeling understood and listened to is one of the most beautiful irreplaceable feelings of life, that not enough people will put effort into understanding you either and that when you meet someone who does, keep the connection

That music is resounding in more ways than one, that it heals your soul in a way that very few things can, that listening to certain things prime your moods and your day, so choose wisely, that singing even without a “talent” is therapeutic

That jealousy is a thriving beast on insecurity, that to rid yourself of jealousy is not by ripping others apart but by re-evaluating why your self-worth is not secure and if there are people who make you truly doubt your capabilities and your worth, take your space

That perfection is not your enemy, that perfection doesn’t exist, rather striving for progress when mistakes are made, owning up to them, reflecting on what went wrong, then creating steps forward is the best thing to do

Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.