Let’s Hack Something Useless?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Berkeley is known for its great Computer Science Department which has grown exponentially in the last few years. The department along with clubs often hold and participate in hackathons, where inspiring programmers stay up for more than 24hrs making their ideas come to life. Schedule Builder which most Cal students utilize to schedule their classes, was actually created during a hackathon. However, focusing on developing an idea for your program or tech can often be stressful. Which is where the Stupid Hackathon of Terrible Ideas comes in!

It is a hackathon dedicated to developing useless tech that has absolutely no practical use whatsoever! Create an app that tells you when you’re holding your phone or a wear rearview mirror, the options are endless and limitless! Although this may sound silly it is a great opportunity to create anything your mind desires with no pressure of pleasing a client. I think this is a great de-stressor before finals to have some educational fun and just be silly for a change. The Hackathon is taking place on May 9-10 in San Francisco for all you readers with terrible useless ideas that you want to make a reality!

I'm a sophomore at UC Berkeley studying Cognitive Science and Computer Science. I enjoy hiking, eating, and movie watching.
Hi my name is Monica Morales and I am a sophomore at UC Berkeley. I am majoring in Media Studies and hope to one day work in television or for Vogue magazine. I love to travel and I love sports. I am currently a student ambassador for both Bobble water bottles and for sports app Fancred.