The “Definitely Do’s” and “Oh Hell No’s” of Concerts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Do – Make It An All Day Event Concerts are hella fun if you do them right. Pre-game or even pre-game your pre-game, there’s absolutely no shame in dragging out the fun as long as humanly possible.

Do Not – Pre-game so hard you don’t make it to the concert A Concert should be a night to remember, like one of those “When we were kids” moments your parents always tell after one too many glasses of wine. If you pre-game too hard, all your children will ever here was “One time I blacked out at Flume, then end.”

Do – Be that typical Coachella girl who makes a guy put her on his shoulders For short, medium, or even tall girls; a view from someone’s shoulders turns a regular concert into a heavenly experience, just like you are floating or are 10 feet tall. 

Do Not – Throwup While On Someone’s Shoulders It’s simple; you DO NOT want to be remembered as that one girl who got on the guy’s shoulders at Chance the Rapper and proceeded to choke on him and all the instant music enthusiasts below.

Do – Go to the Concert With you friends Hell ya! Ever heard that something didn’t happen unless you take the picture? Well, who’s going to take a picture? Don’t be a loner and bring your friends, even if you’re embarrassed to be at a Justin Bieber Concert at 21.

Do Not – Rock the pole too hard on the party bus Like I said, friends are perfect for taking pictures. That one time you rock the pole too hard on the party bus is that one picture that’s going to be all over social media the next morning. No one wants your slutty stripped alter-ego to dance its way into your first post-college job interview.

Do – Buy tons of merchandise crap that will make you seem ancient in like 20 years Ya, sometimes it seems dumb or a waste of time to battle the frenzied crowd trying to snatch the last Alt-J t-shirt but believe me, it’s worth it to have that awesome tee during dead week when you start to forget you ever actually had a life.

Do Not- Bring a massive bag with you (Camel Backs Are The Exception) No one wants to have to drag around a humungous tote, particularly at a concert. All you do it wack people all night and wake up a little lop-sided the next morning.

Do – Dress To Impress Ya, concerts are truly about the music and the memories, but who knows who you’ll meet at a show. Maybe even Jay-Z? Do Not – Be That Person Whose get up takes up 5 square feet around them It’s great to love the artist you forked over a weeks worth of CREAM to see, but come on, you’re, not a billboard!

Do- Have a couple of drinks. No shame in staying hydrated. Do Not – Be dumb with a fake ID (festivals)  Venues always card, especially festivals, so please be smart. Enough said

Often wrong.
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.