Are You A Pre-crastinator?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Procrastination is one of the most popularized and researched psychological phenomenons. We are reminded constantly that procrastination is the devil dressed as a unicorn and told to repeat mantras like, “beat procrastination, take action.” Having grown up in the era of distractions, I can vouch that we have all become wildly successful at it…or have we? Perhaps not. Here at Berkeley, I believe a large number of us struggle with the lesser-known and polar predicament. Pre-crastination, as social scientists define it, is the tendency to complete as much as possible at the expense of extra effort. If this sounds like a habit of yours, you may very well be a pre-crastinator. Read on for tell-tale signs!

1. You need to do things immediately or anxiety eats you up.

For some of us, we feel burdened by the amount of things we need to accomplish and they swarm in the back of our minds. Pre-crastinators end up completing tasks as soon as possible, a method of alleviating the stress and anxiety from leaving something undone. As great as this sounds, it’s like texting someone back so quickly that you’re left with an embarrassing amount of typos. Working on things for the sake of getting them done leads to a lot more easy-to-miss mistakes and often times, less quality.

2. To-do lists, down to the hour, are the bane of your existence.

Lists are meant to be gentle reminders of what we ought to do, not core dictators of our lives. You are boxing yourself if you pack your schedule and try to accomplish significantly more than you can handle. Though it seems like doing more allows for more relaxation in the future, the war with time becomes a losing battle because you counter-intuitively lose all down-time.

3. You find yourself lacking heart in most of what you do, despite finishing all tasks.

In order to truly be happy, there has to be personal value in whatever it is we choose to do. Pre-crastinating can affect our happiness because we begin to approach everything as a burden to end. To change our viewpoint, it might help to remember that as children, we spent tons of time meandering and climbing every obstacle on the playground with uncontrollable excitement. If we bring that same attitude into our lives, who knows, we just might find a little more gratification in college.

If you’ve discovered you’ve been living with these symptoms, don’t fret. Just keep in mind, it took J.R.R. Tolkien approximately 17 years to write the “Lord of the Rings”. As another prime example, Frank Ocean is clearly taking his sweet time on his new album which is two years and still in the making; creativity and production of work we can be proud of requires sufficient time. Let’s allow inspiration to dance around us, create faulty prototypes or mistakes that are exhilarating to solve, and open our souls to more fulfillment than just the crossing out of another chore on our lists.

Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression. 
Hi my name is Monica Morales and I am a sophomore at UC Berkeley. I am majoring in Media Studies and hope to one day work in television or for Vogue magazine. I love to travel and I love sports. I am currently a student ambassador for both Bobble water bottles and for sports app Fancred.