samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Lazy Girl Hacks for Exam Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Ah, the season of stress, panic, and finals is upon us! While most are busy decorating their Christmas trees and holiday gift shopping, we will be shackeled to our desks finalizing assignments and studying. During this busy time, it can be incredibly difficult to keep up with even the simplest of tasks, which is why I have complied a list of life hacks to save you time and precious energy! 

Here is my list of five lazy girl hacks:

1. Meal Prep 

One of the many joys of the internet is unlimited access to quick, easy recipes. During finals, it is easy to fall into unhealthy habits like forgetting to eat all day and then binge eating a frozen pizza (hey, we’ve all been there). If you have access to a kitchen, try reserving a chunk of time to make a large, simple meal full of whole ingredients. One of my personal go-to’s is a chicken stirfry. All you need is brown rice, boneless/skinless chicken breast, and any combination of veggies and spices you desire. It’s quick, easy, and nutritious! Another super easy recipe is combining whole wheat pasta, spinach, chickpeas, and Kraft Greek Feta salad dressing; this is honestly one of the most filling things to make on a time crunch. When cooking either meal, just make tons extra so that you have simple, tasty leftovers to heat up in between study sessions! 

2. Shower at night 

Another self-care act that seems to be forgotten during finals is showering regularly. Of course, you can always get away with not washing your hair everyday (or every two days) but showering is definitely a must! If you feel crammed for time, try showering at night right before you go to bed. You only need ten minutes, and it’s an awesome way to wind down and get ready to sleep. Bonus: you can brush your teeth at the same time! Extra Bonus: showering at night allows you to save time in the morning for the more important things, like sleep.  

3. Minimal makeup

If you still want to wear makeup but feel crunched for time, try taking a more natural approach: instead of wearing foundation all over your face, just use concealor on blemishes; use tinted lipbalms instead of sticky glosses or easily-smudged lipstick; use an eye shadow primer base to take away redness, but skip the eyeshadow; curl your lashes and add a bit of mascara; and wet your eyebrow brush and just brush your brows into place instead of filling them. Voilà, you’ll look put together in five minutes!

4. Wash all your laundry in one go

Instead of separating your laundry into colours and taking five years to do it, put everything in the machine at once and wash on cold. This hack still preserves the colours without the unneccessary time comittment! 

5. Walk more 

During finals it can be even more impossible to make time for the gym, so try walking whenever possible. If you go to the store, park far away from the entrance. Instead of studying in your room, try walking to the nearest library or study space of your choosing. It’s amazing what a little bit of exercise can do to improve your focus and all around well being! 

Hopefully you find these hacks useful, HCUBC Cuties. And remember, we have less than three weeks left until the break, you can do it! 

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.