6 TV Shows/Movies to Get You in the October Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

In honour of the first week of October, I decided to compile a list of TV shows and movies to get you in the mood. Let the spooky binging begin!

1. Stranger Things

One of the most binge worthy series on Netflix right now, Stranger Things is the perfect show for sci-fi and horror lovers alike. Set in the 1980s, the first season follows the strange disappearance of a young boy from a town chalked full of supernatural occurrences. Catch up now, because the second season is set to debut this October 27th. 

2. Practical Magic 

This movie is one of my all time favourites. It features Witches, romance, (literally) possessive ex-boyfriends, humour, curses, and, above all, the powerful bonds of sisterly love. Extra bonus? It stars 90s Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman. 

3. Scream Queens 

This show follows the ridiculous, hilarious, and gory lives of students and faculty at a fictional university plagued by a serial killer. I’m not sure how to describe it other than Mean Girls meets Friday the 13th. It also, arguably, features one of Emma Robert’s most interesting roles as the popular, bitchy Chanel Oberlin, president of Kappa Kappa Tau. The cast also includes stars such as Jamie Lee Curtis, Ariana Grande, Nick Jonas, and Keke Palmer – to name a few.  

4. The Craft

Another essential 90s classic, The Craft tells the story of teenage telekinetic Sarah who is invited to join the coven of three wannabe witches at her new high school. The scariest theme of this movie isn’t the witchy spells, but is instead the chaos that can arise from a group of teenagers high on power. 

5. American Horror Story 

This anthology horror series will terrify you in creative and new ways. Each season features mainly the same cast of actors but with completely different characters and story lines. Therefore, no matter what your personal horror tastes are, there is a season guaranteed to frighten and delight you. The seasons, in order, are: Murder House, Asylum, Coven, Freak Show, Hotel, Roanoke, and Cult, which is currently airing. Warning: do not watch alone before bed

6. The Addams Family (film)

If you don’t already know I’m not going to tell you – just watch it, trust me. Wednesday Addams is what October dreams are made of. Also, good luck getting the theme song out of your head. 

Grab your cloaks, broomsticks, black cats, and settle into the creepy perfection that is this month: Welcome October! 

All gifs taken from https://giphy.com/

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.