Sports Lingo For Girls…From a Guy.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

There is one thing we must always remember before we approach a relationship.  That is if we are forced to mold to the person we are pursuing or being pursed by, then we will be much better off without that person.  

With that in mind, being a 20 something male it is very attractive to see a female excited about sports.  This does not mean that is a deal breaker if a young woman is not as passionate as me or the guys, but it is a plus if she loves the art of competition. 

A common misconception is that guys want a girl who is one of the guys, this may be true for some guys, but the more I see within my own life and the life of my friends this is not the case.  Guys just want you to be yourself.  

On that note, the worst possible thing to see is a girlfriend or someone we are dating staring off in space as we are engaged in the game.  It is awful to see her texting away or trying to find something else to do while the game is in the most dramatic seconds.  It leaves us (or some of us) with a feeling of guilt as we try to please her as our mind is captivated by the game.  But, on the flip side sitting at a restaurant on Friday night discussing the New Orleans Saints offensive schemes, the Atlanta Braves Rotation or if Lebron will win a title is not tops on my list.  There are some, but just as the woman in the relationship there is more than Sports going on in my life.  Not that sports are not important, but it is a small thread in my fabric.  If someone lives only for Sports or any one thing there is a major disconnect with them and the rest of the world. 

Sports is a part of life and for me she does not have to be a walking Sports Illustrated or the biggest fan on the planet, but simple knowledge and enjoyment for sports is more than attractive. For me to see that she is enjoying the game and interested is really a major plus.  There is nothing more annoying than during the game her asking the question, “What is a first down?”

I am not suggesting women should run to their closest Dick’s Sporting Goods and invest in full wardrobe of gear.  There is nothing more awkward than a female dressed from head to toe in Red Sox gear, and asking, “What just happened?”

So, what to do if you are trying to impress a guy or he has invited you to a game and you are lost?

Do not go overboard at first it is obvious if you are a fan in disguise.  Learn the game and the guys team.  Find out what makes it great, and what he loves about the team.  Find out their traditions.  

For example the New Orleans Saints chant, “Who Dat?” 

Do not be stuck in the corner wondering what that means.  

The simple meaning is who is gonna beat the saints.  Of course, the answer is it is impossible to be that Saints, but it is a rhetorical question.  

Without knowledge, you may blurt out an answer, and once again you will be stuck in an awkward place with people wondering why you answered the question.  Be involved in the game, it is not essential you know the whole starting line up but know who is playing, who the players are, and who the stars that are playing are.   It is such a turn on to have a girl that loves the same team as you do, but once again if you are not a fan and he is serious he will know if you are putting on a show.  

Find something that you love about the game, know simple facts, and if you are unsure just ask simple questions.  Buy a t shirt or dress for the game if you have the gear.  Enjoy yourself and he will enjoy you just being there with him.  

If you are a real fan you have nothing to worry about, but if you are not a fan and he is, do not try to fool him because you won’t. 

Jaime is a junior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. There she is the captain of her varsity golf team and a journalism and English double-major. She is an active member in the Student Athletic Advisory Committee where she helps organize volunteer opportunities and social functions for student-athletes at UAB. Jaime enjoys cooking, entertaining friends, reading/writing blogs, fashion, and of course, golf. She aspires to eventually write for a major magazine or write chick-lit books.