Say Hello to the Lovely Miss UAB 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Name: Melanie Mae Roberts

Year: Junior

Majors: Sociology and Psychology 

Hometown: Mt. Olive, Alabama

Her Campus (HC): What activities are you involved in on campus?

Melanie: I am involved in two student organizations, Sigma Lambda Alpha National Honor Society as well as Psi Chi the honors society for Psychology majors. Other than those, I will be promoting my title as Miss UAB on campus and hosting my own fundraiser events for my community service platform Wounded Warrior Project.

HC: When did you first enter the pageant world?

Melanie: I was never one for pageants growing up, my mother begged me but could never get me interested! I actually made a bet with my mother and the deal was if she let me pick out whatever dress I wanted I would do one pageant. I chose a preliminary pageant for Miss Alabama and absolutely fell in love with everything the organization represented and offered young women. So, my first pageant was last summer of 2013, I was 20 years old entering the pageant world but better late than never. 

HC: How would you describe your personality?

Melanie: My personality can described in many ways. I’m passionate, bubbly, hardworking, scatterbrained at times but I am realistic and never let negativity get the best of me. I am very much a people person. I could carry on a conversation with almost anyone who would talk back to me, and I love working with children which is why I love being a dance teacher. (Cullman dance academy).

HC: What is your platform, and what inspired it?

Melanie: My community service platform is the wounded warrior project, there motto is to Honor and Empower wounded warriors and they truly do just that. WWP has serviced over thousands of men, women, and their families who suffer from physical and mental illnesses through their rehabilitation programs. I have such a great respect for our military, especially coming from a military family. My favorite hero would have to be my father, a disabled veteran of the United States Marine Corps. I plan to host many proud supporter events in the BHM area promoting WWP, raising awareness, and raising donations.

HC: Do you have any advice for other women interested in pageantry?

Melanie:My number one piece of advice to other young women in pageantry would be to stay true to who you are, stay strong in your beliefs and opinions, and never forget the real reason of why you are competing. It is about Scholarship, Success, Style, and Service. Always have fun and grow from your mistakes, if you don’t then you’re not doing something right.  

Jakeya is a Sophomore at The University of Alabama at Birmingham. Her Major is Healthcare Administration w/ a minor in Nutrition Science. In her spare time, Jakeya enjoys reading, writing, shopping and spending time with her family. In addition to being Editor-and-Cheif of HC UAB, Jakeya is an active member of the NAACP, and the Student Actvities Council at UAB. When Jakeya is not hard at work with school, extra-curriculars, or her job at taco bell, you can find her somewhere snuggled with her boyfriend and a good movie. You can contact her at Jakeyajohnson@hercampus.com