Misconceptions about Communication Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

In college, when someone hears a student say they are a communications major, the person automatically might say, “Wow, you have the easiest major ever” or “ So what are you gonna do with that anyways?”. People assume that communication majors have it the easiest because they think our major does not have much “substance”. Now, I will say as a communications major I do not expect to leave college making $70k right off the bat, but that does not mean that communications major cannot get a job either. Here are some things that us communications majors are tired of hearing.

1. “Communications is the least stressful major.”

Contrary to popular belief, communication is not an easy major. Between conducting interviews, learning different types of communication, countless numbers of reading material, and writing papers everyday, it is a lot of work.

2. “Will you ever find a job for your major?”

What people do not understand is that communication majors have the opportunity to follow and choose any type job career. Our degree allows us learn about Marketing, Digital Media, Advertising, Public Relations, Journalism, and many other things. Also, with a communications degree, you can have a future in Law, Education, and Business.

3. “So you are just learning how to talk to people.”

Communication studies is not just about learning how to talk to people. Comm is about learning how to conduct yourself while giving an interview, learning how to report on a story or subject. Investigating certain issues that are taking place in our school or country, and breaking down how that affects us as individuals.

4. “All communication majors want to be journalists.”

There is so much more to be being a communication major than just being a journalist. I am specializing in journalism, but I know many others who want to be in media production, advertising, marketing, management, broadcasting, and public relations. Communications does not just relate to journalism.

Hopefully this article will break your misconceptions about communication majors. Communication majors work just as hard and are detail-oriented, just like any other major, and I hope this article made you realize that.

Jessica.Virgo.Dog Lover. Struggling College Student
HCUAB