Jared Sutton: The Man Behind UAB Muggle Quidditch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Name: Jared Sutton
Major: Math
Hometown: Ariton, Alabama
Hobbies/Interests: Undergrad SGA Senate, tree-climbing, learning archaic dance moves, improving cultural-stereotypical accents.

Jared Sutton isn’t just a Harry Potter nerd…he took his love of all things Potter to a whole new level when he formed “Muggle Quidditch” here at UAB. I went to the first practice, and can I just say, as a Chaser, I got a ridiculous workout. Move over spin class, Quidditch is the new “it” workout!

HC: How did you get the idea to start a Muggle Quidditch team at UAB?
JS: Well, I hadn’t even read any of the Harry Potter books until the end of last year, but when I did start reading, I was hooked. Then, I saw a youtube video of some kids from the Northeast playing this mystical game on the ground, and I knew that I had to make it happen at UAB.

HC: How do you play Quidditch and adjust it without magic for us mere muggles?
JS: The game that you see in the Harry Potter movies is essentially the game that you get for us muggles, minus (sigh) flight; brooms between the legs at all times? Check! Vicious bludgers attacking helpless chasers? Check! Former track-stars running around with a golden sock in the back of their shorts? Check!

HC: What’s your favorite Harry Potter novel? Who’s your favorite character? 
JS: I’m a total nerd for TV pilots, story-setting, and great first lines in books, so I have to go with “HP and the Philosopher’s Stone.” (the original UK-version title). From the first time that I saw the character-I saw the first few movies before I read any of the books–I was a Hagrid superfan.

HC: What house do you think you’d be “sorted” into if you were a character?
JS: Hufflepuff, for the win.

Jaime is a junior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. There she is the captain of her varsity golf team and a journalism and English double-major. She is an active member in the Student Athletic Advisory Committee where she helps organize volunteer opportunities and social functions for student-athletes at UAB. Jaime enjoys cooking, entertaining friends, reading/writing blogs, fashion, and of course, golf. She aspires to eventually write for a major magazine or write chick-lit books.