How to Survive Thanksgiving Away From Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

thanks·giv·ing

Noun. The only time of year where it is socially acceptable to stuff oneself with mounds of turkey drowned in gravy and served with infinite side dishes. It is customary for one to look forward to leftovers the next day.

Thanksgiving time of year can be more than a little bit stressful. As if trying to wrap up school projects before the week off isn’t enough (can it just be winter break already?) you have to worry about if you’re going to make it home to enjoy football food and family. You may be starting to realize that making it home to Dad’s fried turkey and mom’s famous sweet potato pie will not be a reality this year. Let’s be real, nothing can compare to a home cooked meal with your very own family, but these four alternatives are a heck of a lot better than eating ramen in your dorm room on turkey day.

1.     Spend the holiday with your significant other. Nothing says “-serious relationship-” like spending the holiday together, and is there any sweeter love than being able to stuff your face with the one you love? Be sure his parents are expecting you, and have backup sleeping arrangements, especially if this is the first time you’ve met mom and dad. Bring something (nothing too fancy, maybe a dessert) to contribute to help make a good first impression!

2.     Have a potluck with your floor mates. There’s a really good chance that you’re not the only one who couldn’t make it home. Find out who else is stuck on campus for turkey day and celebrate together. Everyone brings a dish, and you guys can be thankful for each other. Don’t worry if you can’t make turkey or an immaculate red velvet cake from scratch; it’s the thought that counts. Chicken breast and a box cake will do just fine.

3.     And if that isn’t possible go to dinner with your floor mates. So, it turns out cooking is not one of your best qualities. Be thankful that restaurants are open on Thanksgiving! Plan a dinner with your fellow dorm-dwellers at a restaurant that is serving a traditional Thanksgiving style meal. Be sure to leave a nice tip for your server. You know what it’s like to not be able to be with family during the holidays.

4.     Volunteer at a soup kitchen. Sure it’s not what you’re used to but it could be just what you need. If serving men and women who never know when their next meal will be or where it’s coming from doesn’t make you feel grateful then what can? You may not be home, but you have a roof over your head, and you’re getting an education; not everyone can say that, so be thankful!

Jakeya is a Sophomore at The University of Alabama at Birmingham. Her Major is Healthcare Administration w/ a minor in Nutrition Science. In her spare time, Jakeya enjoys reading, writing, shopping and spending time with her family. In addition to being Editor-and-Cheif of HC UAB, Jakeya is an active member of the NAACP, and the Student Actvities Council at UAB. When Jakeya is not hard at work with school, extra-curriculars, or her job at taco bell, you can find her somewhere snuggled with her boyfriend and a good movie. You can contact her at Jakeyajohnson@hercampus.com