How to Not Completely Wreck Your Skin in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Guess what girls, one day we will actually be done with college! We might not even be dead-broke anymore! And when that beautiful day comes, we will look in the mirror and say, “Ugh, why didn’t I take better care of my skin?” One day we will be thankful for every little bit of sunscreen that we put on today, so let’s start lathering it on ladies!

The best stuff I’ve found so far (and yes I mean cheap stuff) is Aveeno’s Protect + Hydrate SPF 50. It moisturizes without being too greasy (I can put makeup on top of it after waiting 15 minutes) and it honestly just feels soothing going on. If you simply don’t have any time to put any SPF on before rushing off to class, then keep some sunscreen in your car, and the next time you get stuck in traffic (as you inevitably will) just dab some on the tops of your hands and your chest/neck area. Those are two of the first places to show age spots and you will be glad you paid some extra attention to them!

As a fashionable alternative on days you just don’t want to put any SPF on and you’re stuck on the interstate in a 5mph crawl, drape a scarf around your shoulders and put your sunglasses on—not only are you protecting the delicate skin on your chest and around your eyes but voila! You look like a chic chick from a 1960s French New Wave film!

Two huge things that affect the state of the nation…I mean our skin…is diet and sleep. Yes, we already know this. And we know that some days we will be fortunate if we even get the chance to eat junk food and get 4 ½ hours of sleep. But even if we don’t think we can do anything good for our skin on those days, amazingly, we can!

First, when you reach for that coffee—drink tea instead. Coffee has a high dose of caffeine (obviously) and unfortunately that’s bad news for our skin. Tea usually has a lower dose of caffeine, and green tea or anything that says “detox” is especially good for you. If you are not a hot tea drinker than put it over ice—Starbucks has tons of yummy, fruity tea drinks, and they are often very easy to replicate at home.

Now for the (non)sleeping issue, sometimes you are simply NOT going to get the requisite eight hours at night (ha! Sorry.) So whenever you do get the chance to sleep, make your room as dark and quiet as possible, use ONE pillow and lie on your back if possible, (apparently it helps smooth your skin out if you lie on your back and improves your circulation as well).

And for those puffy eye days…if this doesn’t make a tea drinker out of you I don’t know what will! Put two chamomile (caffeine free!) tea bags in the fridge, and while you are drinking your cup of tea, let the tea bags chill. Then take them out and place them over your eyes while you lie down for 5-10 minutes. Not only will it calm down the delicate skin around your eyes but it will calm down YOU down as well! You will look like you had 12 hours of beauty sleep!

My personal “skinspiration” is the French actress Marion Cotillard. (And yes, I made up that term, and yes I think it’s cute). She has parfait glowing, gorgeous skin and is a mole-y girl like I am, so whatever she says about her skin care regimen I try to emulate. She swears by beaucoup de sunscreen, lots of peppermint tea and leafy greens. (It’s that last one I have trouble with). Anyway, pick someone whose skin you admire and preferably of a similar type to yours; if they are a celebrity, read up on their regimens, and if it is someone you personally know, than just ask what it is that they do that makes their skin so gorgeous! (Everyone needs a compliment once in a while anyway). My gorgeous grandmother swore by Noxzema—maybe that counteracted all the coffee she drank, which is BAD for you remember! “Dashes off to Starbucks”

Katharine is studying for her MA in History at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. She is a lover of history and art history, an indefatigable bookworm and a die-hard fan of classic film and vintage fashion. Strike up a conversation with her about Harper Lee, Jane Austen or Audrey Hepburn and you will make her day!
HCUAB