Cuffing Season: What Is It All About?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

If you’ve been “dating” in this generation then it’s certain you have probably heard the term cuffing season. What the heck is it? Does it actually require you to be handcuffed? (if you’re into that kind of thing, no judgment of course). Well, have no fear! I’ve got you covered on explaining all the details.

“Cuffing” is a term that has been floating around social media and in this generation’s dating era for quite some time, and maybe even longer, but the Internet has the tendency to make old things seem new again. This is even pre Netflix and chill (isn’t that your fave)? Well, to put it in simpler terms, cuffing season is the time of year when it gets colder (typically the late fall and winter months). During this time, one must diligently select whom they are going to be cuddling with in the winter months, or if you are seriously looking for a partner, someone you intend to seriously date. If you have been seeing someone prior to the beginning of cuffing season this may be the time that they decide they want to take things further with you, show you off to their friends, and on ALL of their social media outlets (exciting, right?!)

All jokes aside, dating is not completely dead in this generation. You have to be willing to put yourself out there at times, and don’t be afraid to see more than person and explore your options before making a commitment to one person. If you are searching for your mate for life or just someone to cuddle with on the weekends, be clear of your intentions up front to eliminate any misunderstandings. If you can’t find someone who wants the same thing as you, MOVE ON! If Internet dating has you totally bummed out (as if anything terrible can come from the Internet) it’s okay to unplug yourself every once in a while. That’s right, log off, and put that phone down. There ARE still people out there you can meet face to face in the real world and hit it off with.

As always, may the curve be ever in your favor.

A work in progress.
HCUAB