Can’t Relate: The Issue of Representation in Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Let’s face it. We’re all drawn into the media in some way or another. Whether it’s through the internet, TV, or magazines, it has become a part of our everyday routines. Think about all the times you have scrolled through social media or flipped through a magazine and thought “Ha! I can relate.” When it comes to the media in 2016 we may think there’s not much that hasn’t been covered, but that’s not quite the case. Recent studies show that although 67% of women are plus-size, only 2% is represented in the media. That means there are women around the world who simply can’t relate to the majority of the images they see everyday.

Refinery29 has started a campaign called the “67 Percent Project” which urges the media to realize that they are not all-inclusive and it’s obvious. As a part of their campaign, Refinery29 has partnered with Lane Bryant and Aerie to showcase plus-size women of all sizes. Typically when we see ads ran for plus-sizes they are the same types of women with just enough curves to fit the standards of beauty showcased by today’s media. It’s important that we understand that as humans we all have a different type of physique, and there is not one type that is more beautiful than the next! Refinery29 has reached out on social media for women to send in pictures using #SeeThe67 in order to showcase what they refer to as the invisible majority. The site itself is now compiled with images of women embracing their bodies, and 67% of them are plus-sized. They are working with Getty Images in order to allow these images to be used on other platforms who want to support their initiative. Orange Is The New Black star Danielle Brooks is an ambassador for the project. She recently spoke about the campaign on The Wendy Williams Show, saying “It’s not so much about encouraging women. That’s the thing I think people mess up. We are already confident. We already love ourselves… I think it’s the media that needs to change.”

In a society that is so heavily influenced by the media, representation is extremely important. Being able to see images that reflect who we are gives us a sense of importance and appreciation. Be sure to check out refinery29.com and use the hashtag to chime in on the conversation!

Tamia is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in mass communication with a journalism concentration. She is currently serving as one of her chapter's campus correspondents. 
HCUAB