Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

I was walking in the grocery store a few days ago and saw Steve Harvey’s novel, “Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man”. I immediately liked the title and started flipping through the pages. Let me just tell you, the concept is amazing. The main theme of the novel is that women are setting their standards to low-both for themselves and the guys that they date. How many times have you been on a seemingly wonderful date, but then he never makes the next move? Have you hooked up with a guy, and then he never talked to you again? Well, here are some fantastic pieces of dating advice I picked up out of reading the book that I feel are totally applicable to college dating.

1. The Ninety Day Rule- Ford requires their employees to show their competence within 90 days of beginning work. Harvey thinks that you should require your man to prove himself for 90 days before having sex with him. Personally, I don’t believe in setting a number before you get intimate, because it will vary from person to person. However, if you like a guy, it’s definitely a good idea to make him prove himself before getting physical. Think about it, do you really think he would bring you home to mom if you give him everything on the first date? Hence, acting like a lady and thinking like a man. 
  2. Men are not your girlfriends. Do not confuse the two, ladies. Your friends are the ones to talk to about those shoes on sale at Saks or your painful ingrown toe nail. Please, spare your dude the details. Just because you don’t talk about every little thing does not mean you don’t communicate. Women are “emotional”, guys are “fixers”. This means that women want to talk about how a problem made them feel, whereas guys just want to fix it. So, don’t get offended if your guy offers a quick-fix rather than listening to you vent, it’s just how men are wired.
  3. Play a little hard to get. There is literally no bigger turn off to a guy than a needy, clingy girl. Have your own hobbies, have your own life, and for God’s sake, don’t send him 15 texts a day. Unless you’re saying “I’m running late” or “Good morning”, there is no need to send him a text message. If you guys hooked up and he doesn’t call you back, he’s not “super busy at work”, he probably just doesn’t want to talk to you. Leave the guy alone, go see a movie with a friend or re-paint your bedroom. Once he sees that you’re doing your own thing, he will remember the independent lady he was attracted to in the first place. Plus, why would you want a sketchy guy like that anyways?

So, thinking like a guy really isn’t that hard. They are simple creatures. Just assume that they are always thinking about the easiest and most efficient solution. If they are hungry, they eat. If they’re tired, they sleep. If they’re horny, they go to a bar and find a girl. But I promise, they will never bring that girl home to meet their mom. Being a classy lady, but knowing how men operate will give you such an advantage in dating. Don’t settle for the guy at the bar, settle for the guy who will chase you, and nothing less. 

Jaime is a junior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. There she is the captain of her varsity golf team and a journalism and English double-major. She is an active member in the Student Athletic Advisory Committee where she helps organize volunteer opportunities and social functions for student-athletes at UAB. Jaime enjoys cooking, entertaining friends, reading/writing blogs, fashion, and of course, golf. She aspires to eventually write for a major magazine or write chick-lit books.