5 Things to Avoid on the First Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

What do I do? What do I say? What do I wear!? If you’re trying to keep this cutie around for Valentine’s Day, then your first date is going to be important. NO matter how many first dates you go on, it always becomes too easy to say or do something taboo. Making a good impression doesn’t have to be stressful and if you leave these bad habits behind, you and your special guy will be sure to have many more dates!

Glue Yourself to Your Phone

Your first date should be spent getting to know each other not liking every picture on Instagram. Social media and your friends will be there after the date is over! Limit phone time to emergencies and of course that cute first date selfie!

Get Wasted

Getting wasted on any date is distasteful but on the first date it’s out of the question! Not only do you run the risk of doing something completely embarrassing, your date will not want to go out with you again if he feels like he has to baby-sit you.

Bring up the Ex

He’s your ex for a reason, and we don’t need to know that reason! Let the past stay in the past and focus on the cutie right in front of you! Bringing up an ex can make it seem like you can’t let go of old relationships, and clingy girls make guys run!

Be Gross

This should be common sense but we’ll just say it: no picking your nose, belching, farting, scratching… you get the point. It’s one thing to be comfortable with your body but this is just not the place or the time for that level of comfort.

Talk, Talk, Talk.

The idea is to get to know each other, which means you have to let him get a word in! Sure you have a very interesting life and you want to tell him all about I, but what will you have to talk about on the next date? It’s ok to talk but try not to ramble on the entire date.

Jakeya is a Sophomore at The University of Alabama at Birmingham. Her Major is Healthcare Administration w/ a minor in Nutrition Science. In her spare time, Jakeya enjoys reading, writing, shopping and spending time with her family. In addition to being Editor-and-Cheif of HC UAB, Jakeya is an active member of the NAACP, and the Student Actvities Council at UAB. When Jakeya is not hard at work with school, extra-curriculars, or her job at taco bell, you can find her somewhere snuggled with her boyfriend and a good movie. You can contact her at Jakeyajohnson@hercampus.com