The 10 Commandments of Friends With Benefits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

FWBs or Friends With Benefits are becoming more of a normal thing. People like the idea of  regular sexual encounters, without the commitment, titles, and drama of a relationship. Even though having a FWB can be easier than a relationship and safer than a one night stand, it can be a tricky arrangement to maintain. A FWB romance can definitely be hard to preserve, but follow these 10 commandments and you’ll be well on your way!

1. Thou shall not catch feelings. Don’t fall in love. I repeat: DO. NOT. FALL. IN. LOVE. I know it’s much easier said than done but if you find yourself developing feelings, break things off as fast as you can! Falling in love will almost always end in heartbreak.
  2. Thou shall not cuddle. Cuddling is not one of the benefits included in this arrangement!! It’s just way too romantic, and something that should be saved for a real relationship. 
  3. Thou shall not be FWBs with thy crush. If you have a crush on someone, then you already have some level of feelings for them. Adding a sexual relationship is just fuel to the fire, and will eventually lead to breaking commandment 1. 
  4. Thou shall not spend the night. And while we’re at it, never stay for/cook dinner and absolutely no dates.
  5. Thou shall be honest about your intentions. Don’t lead you FWB on and make them think it could possibly turn into something serious if you know you only want sex. Just be honest. 
  6. Thou shall avoid the ‘L’ word. You are NOT making love, you do NOT love spending time with him, you do NOT love when he does that one thing with his hands. Just avoid the word at all cost. 
  7. Thou shall wrap it up every time. You never know how many “friends” your “friend” has or had. You’d rather be safe now than sorry later, so always have protection on hand and use it every single time! 
  8. Thou shall not ruin friendships. Never, and I mean never, make someone you’re close to a FWB. It doesn’t matter if things end good or bad with you two, the whole dynamic of your friendship changes. Things will forever be awkward so just don’t do it.
  9. Thou shall always get the big “O”. The whole purpose of this arrangement is sexual pleasure. If your needs aren’t thoroughly met each and every time. then something is wrong!
  10. Thou shall be lowkey. Secrets don’t make friends, but they make the best FWBs! What you and your partner do is between the two of you. These situations work best when very few people are aware, so keep it on a need to know basis. 

Jakeya is a Sophomore at The University of Alabama at Birmingham. Her Major is Healthcare Administration w/ a minor in Nutrition Science. In her spare time, Jakeya enjoys reading, writing, shopping and spending time with her family. In addition to being Editor-and-Cheif of HC UAB, Jakeya is an active member of the NAACP, and the Student Actvities Council at UAB. When Jakeya is not hard at work with school, extra-curriculars, or her job at taco bell, you can find her somewhere snuggled with her boyfriend and a good movie. You can contact her at Jakeyajohnson@hercampus.com