The Ten Guys You Date in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

1.The “too smart” guy:

While he may be very kind, your date feels more like a class. You asked how his day was, and suddenly he’s lecturing you on how global warming can be tied into women’s pantyhose. (Maybe a bit excessive, but you get the point.) Unless you’re equally brilliant in every subject, the date is quick to become awkward. His jokes will be complex and you’ll feel a headache start to form slightly after he asks your waiter for a pen to explain quantum physics on your napkin.

2.The “all brawn – no brain” guy:

Unlike the above date, this one will be uncomfortable for all the opposite reasons. Your conversations will be one sided and very similar to talking to a wall. Unless you ask him about his workout plan, you will quickly realize there isn’t much for you two to talk about. On the bright side, you will be able to teach him that cats, in fact, do not lay eggs… (I wish I was making this one up…)

3.The “not looking for commitment” guy:

You’ve been on a few dates with this guy. Things are going swimmingly well. Most of your conversations with the girls will have some mention of him. Your dates last hours because you can sit and talk for hours. Right as you start to think this guy might be SO worthy, he will casually text you something along the lines of, “You are a really sweet girl, but I’m not looking for anything serious right now.”

4.The “I want to go back to my hometown” guy:

At first, the fact he is from Small Town, USA seems cute. He talks about all the locals, his parents, and how tiny his graduating class was. He seems to be a super sweet, down to earth guy. Downfall: His plans after graduation are to move into a house down the street from his parents and work at the family business. If you like the idea of a social life and having an excuse to wear heels, you will quickly discover that he’s not the one for you. Good luck to the small town hero, but this girl prefers red lips to dip lips.

5.The “stuck in high school” guy:

Ten minutes into your date, you realize that all he has talked about is how his sports team had some major achievement his senior year, all thanks to him. He’ll then proceed to tell you all the schools he could have played for, and the scholarships they offered him. You’ll have to frequently remind yourself not to ask him why he didn’t go to one of those schools and save you both the pain of this date.

6.The ghost guy:

You know the one. You talk for a few weeks, he seems fun enough, so you agree to meet up. You text him shortly before your date to check in. Nothing. You text him a few minutes past your meeting time to see if he’s just running late. Nothing. You jokingly text him to see if he’s still alive. Nothing. You text him a few days later to let him know he’s a real prick. Nothing.

7.The guys who went on four other dates before yours:

You will notice right away that his mind is elsewhere. He’s constantly on his phone, texting, snapchatting, — oh my god. He’s swiping on Tinder. You watch him message another girl on Tinder and ask if he’d like you to go. He will pretend he’s interested and reply with, “I’m having a great time, I just have to meet a friend at 10.”

Boy, bye.

8.The party guy:

At first his party attitude seems fun and exciting. Then you realize it’s 10am and he’s ordering a drink. It’s a Wednesday and he started your conversation with the fact he was hungover. You realize this guy is like the energizer bunny, and there is no way you can keep up with this crazy party lifestyle.

9.The nice guy – who becomes your best friend after you realize there’s zero chemistry between you:

We all have heard about guys getting friend-zoned, in this situation you friend-zone each other, basically. You kind of like each other and have gone on a few dates. You try to take your relationship to the next level, and realize that there is zero chemistry there. So you drop the relationship thoughts, and move straight to eating excessively and making fart jokes.

10.The one that got away:

Whether the timing was off, one of you moved, or whatever the circumstances were/are, he was the one that got away. You harbor no feelings of resentment, and still find yourself thinking of him fondly. He’s the one you would drop anything for if he said he wanted to be with you. You bring him up in conversation with the girls from time to time still, and you often wonder if he thinks about you too. Perhaps it is time to reach out to him… Besides, what do you have to lose?

Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.