nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Top 10 Brunch Restaurants in Victoria

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Even if you just moved to Victoria, you probably know that brunch is a BIG DEAL here. Ask anybody and they will tell you their favourite place to get eggs benny, a breakfast hash, french toast. HC at UVic is no stranger to the brunch game here in Victoria. We’ve compiled a list of our favourite places to go on a weekend morning for some good eats.

Jam Cafe: 542 Herald Street

This country chic restaurant makes you feel right at home with its eclectic mix of kitschy  decor. You can find people lined up outside on a Saturday or Sunday morning waiting to get in for a taste of their famous red velvet pancakes, stuffed french toast, or eggs benny special of the day.

Mo:Lé: 554 Pandora Ave

Located in a block containing some of the hippest places in Victoria, it’s no wonder this restaurant is so popular. They serve a wide variety of traditional breakfast options all day with vegan and raw food options as well. Our personal favourite dish is their Mo:Lé benny with fresh avocado and tomato.

The Blue Fox Café: 919 Fort Street

Ask anyone who is from Victoria for a brunch recommendation and we guarantee you the Blue Fox Café will make their list. If you are looking for a restaurant that offers a traditional eggs, bacon and hash brown meal, this is the place to go. You can find Victorians of all ages chowing down in this retro inspired café.

Cora: 850 Douglas Street

If you’re tired of all the hipsters in Victoria, come to Cora. This laid back diner appeals to a large crowd in Victoria. In our opinion, they have the best crepes in town. They also always have fresh fruit, which is great for a groggy weekend morning.

The Ruby: 3110 Douglas Street

If you are looking for a good breakfast hash, this is the place to go. The Ruby offers a variety of flavourful dishes with vegan, veggie and gluten free options on top of regular menu items.  They are known for their rotisserie chicken, so if you are in more of a lunch mood, it is also a great place to go.

Spoons Diner: 2915 Douglas Street

Another traditional diner style restaurant. If you are feeling adventurous, you can order the Prusa for $15 and the kitchen will make you whatever they feel like. You can, of course, specify any dietary restrictions, and if you are in a sweet or savoury mood, but other than that, it’s totally up to them!

Rebar: 50 Bastion Square

This is the place to come if you are vegan or have any dietary restrictions. It’s also great if you can eat everything, too! Rebar serves locally sourced organic food, helping you to properly nourish your body.

John’s Place: 723 Pandora Avenue

Open 364 days of the year, you can always count on John’s Place to give you a delicious meal. The restaurant has been doing business for over 30 years and the cook and owner, John Cantin, is one of the nicest and most energetic people our team has ever met.

Floyd’s: 866 Yates Street

A cult classic here in Victoria, Floyd’s is your typical diner style breakfast place. If you’re feeling lucky, you can try ordering the Mahoney, where what you eat is up to the cook and you can flip a coin to try and get your meal for free; however if you lose the toss you pay double!

Cup of Joe: 230 Menzies Street

At Cup of Joes all dishes pay homage to the arts. Why not try an Eastwood omelette or Chuck Berry’s pancakes? The restaurant is tucked into the basement of a building place and while it might be hard to spot from the outside, the food is awesome and the staff are great, too!

Did we miss anywhere?

Let us know what your favourite brunch spot is in Victoria!

Sources: 1/2/3

Kate is a linguistics major at the University of Victoria. Although she is only 22 years old, Kate is truly a granny at heart. She could not imagine a world in which sweaters, dogs, coffee, and brunch did not exist. In her spare time Kate likes to create inspirational quotes to live by. Her quote of the moment is "Life is a party and I have the streamers!"
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison