jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Cheap Wines to Get You Through Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

It’s that time of the semester again that practically everyone hates. Finals! Now, I’m pretty sure at some point when studying for your finals, you felt like you needed a drink or two. We all deserve to treat ourselves to a nice glass of wine after all the blood, sweat, and tears we put into the school year. Since most of us are poor university students, we obviously can’t afford the Ferraris and Rolls-Royces of wines, and we have to stick with our budgets. Worry not, because after reading this article, you will learn more about 8 good wines that are less than $15 dollars but still taste like royalty. Plus, your wallet will definitely thank you.

Jacob’s Creek

First of all, this wine is so good that it is possible to finish a bottle in a night. This Australian brand is very popular, with their prices being below $13 and they are excellent wines, so it’s not hard to see why they are often a hit with many university students.

Their Shiraz-Cabernet – a ruby-red dry blend with a fruity flavor and smells like a blend of berries, mint and vanilla –  is always a popular choice . It’s not too sweet, so it is perfect for people who don’t like overly sweet wines.

I recently tried their rosé wine, and it looks like it’s going to be one of my favourites. With its sweet raspberry and strawberry aromas, and pear tones, this refreshing wine is perfect for a quiet night in, maybe accompanied by a warm bubble bath and an episode of Riverdale.

Barefoot

Another popular wine brand among university students, it comes in several different types – pink moscato, moscato, pinot grigio and so on. The Pink Moscato version is very popular among my friends and a personal favorite of mine. A light and sweet mixture of Moscato, red fruits with sweet jasmine and mandarin aromas, it is a versatile wine and is perfect for any occasion. I like to have a glass with a bowl of ice cream and strawberries after dinner.

A recent addition from this brand is also one of my favorite wines, the Crisp White. A white wine blend of Chenin Blanc and Riesling, it is light and has melon and pear undertones. It can be served on ice or chilled to enjoy. People who usually don’t like overly sweet wines would love this white wine.

They are also budget-friendly, each bottle costing under $15.

Finca Los Primos

A new favorite of mine, this Argentine brand makes really good wines. My particular favorite from this brand is the Rose version, a delicious blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec. The wine is slightly fizzy and has cherry, raspberry and floral undertones but it is excellent as a chilled drink to enjoy on a hot summer day with friends. A bottle is just $11.99 so your wallet will thank you a lot.

Screw It!

If the name isn’t intriguing enough, then tasting this wine will change your mind. Their white wine is light, fruity and perfect for a drink in the middle of the day, while the red wine is more lush, rich and great for accompanying a romantic meal or just a nice night in with sushi and Netflix. If you feel like getting a drink after a very tough exam, just screw it and grab a glass!

Select Pampas del Sur

According to a friend, this wine tastes just like high-end but it is budget friendly to everyone, including poor university students like us. Their Chardonnay/ Chenin Blanc is a very delicious tropical blend with citric tones that will go along with any occasion. Plus their prices are below $12 and if you have high tastes but you don’t want to suffer for it, this wine is perfect for you.

Cono Seur Bicileta—Voigneur

This Chilean pale-gold wine with its tropical aromas and flavorful style is a lovely dry wine that aims to please. Tastes of grapefruit, peach, green apple, and pineapple and easy on the palate makes this a good choice for celebrating the end of finals. A bottle costs about $9.99 each so if you’re really stressed and you don’t feel like in the mood to splurge on a high-end wine, this wine is perfect for you and your wallet.

Arbor Mist

An excellent choice for these warmer days, these American wines don’t taste like they even have alcohol in them and they are also budget-friendly. Coming in different fruit blends, including Blackberry merlot, sangria zinfandel, strawberry white zinfandel, the wine person who likes variety will be most likely pleased with these wines. One bonus is that they don’t cost too much at all, at about $8.99 each without tax.

Baby Duck

So the name alone is sort of an odd choice to me for a wine brand, but don’t let the cutesy name deter you – their wines are pretty tasty. A once-popular domestic wine brand in Canada, their sparkling and champagne wines are the main attraction. Sweet, fruity and fizzy, it is easy to see why this wine brand got its reputation as a ‘gate-way’ wine and often gets compared to soda pop. These wines cost about $11.29 each and are perfect for parties or just having a night in with movies. If you’re a beginner to drinking wine and you’re not so sure about where to start, then trying this sweet wine could be a good transition.

So there you go, you now know eight different good and budget-friendly wines to treat yourself to!

Disclaimer: Enjoy responsibly and please don’t drink too much, even if it tastes so good that you want more!  

Sources: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8

Molly is a recent graduate from University of Victoria.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison