7 TV Shows to Watch Out for This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Summer is over and so is Game of Thrones. School has begun and I’m already overwhelmed by my existence as a university student. So, here’s a list of shows we can all watch to avoid thinking about our slow descent into overwhelming anxiety. Or, you know, just something entertaining to watch; whichever comes first.

1. Riverdale (Season 2) The CW, Netflix

Premieres Thursday Oct.12

This basically goes without saying at this point. If you haven’t watched the show you know someone who has, and they’ve been telling you to watch it. Although it can be problematic in some ways, once you start watching it you become hooked on the essence of the show, which can be categorized as a classic soap opera-meets-murder-mystery. An interesting take on the Archie comics, Riverdale follows the intertwined lives of Betty (Lili Reinhart), Veronica (Camila Mendes), Archie ( KJ Apa) and Jughead (Cole Sprouse) as they attempt to solve the murder of a fellow student. There are many reasons to watch this show, including (but not limited to) the aesthetic, the beautiful actors, and the crazy twists of  narrative that keep you on the edge of your seat. This show is definitely one to have on your to-watch list. It’s best to binge watch this one, to get its full dramatic effect.

2. Mr. Robot (Season 3) The USA Network

Premieres Wednesday Oct.11

There’s a reason you’ve been hearing about this show for the last couple of years. That’s because it’s just that good and I can promise that you will not be disappointed. The story follows the protagonist, Elliot Alderson (Rami Malek), when he gets involved with a hacktivist group known as “fsociety”. The mastermind behind this group, Mr.Robot, takes a special interest in Elliot who is suffering from clinical depression and social anxiety. But things go haywire when they attempt to take down the biggest conglomerate, known as E Corp. This drama-thriller allows for a critical take on modern society through the use of a type of character that is rarely found on screen these days. I would also like to add that this show has some of the most realistic and compelling portrayals of women I’ve seen on TV, which is all the more reason for you to watch it!

3. Jane the Virgin (Season 4) The CW, Netflix

Premieres Friday Oct. 3

I cannot praise this show enough. The writing, the humour, the narrative – so many components work together in this show to make it as satisfying and intriguing as it could be. This is a romantic-comedy drama about our protagonist, Jane Villanueva (Gina Rodriguez), a young, latina waitress and would-be writer who has taken an oath to wait until marriage – and the events that follow after she accidentally gets artificially inseminated. Sounds a bit extra and it is, but in the most effective way. The show tackles many different subjects, like accidental pregnancy (duh),  single motherhood, teenage pregnancy, romantic relationships, religion, money, career and family.

I would also like to state that this is a show in which I found myself represented on TV in a way that I haven’t come across in any other show. Jane Villanueva is a character that speaks to me on so many levels, both  through her personality, and as a woman of colour. Maybe you’ll find a little bit of yourself in her too!

4. Peaky Blinders (Season 4) BBC Two

Release Date to be Determined (Sometime before Christmas)

Sometimes all we need is a devil-may-care protagonist; someone we can live through vicariously and give the world the middle finger. Meet Thomas Shelby (Cillian Murphy), the leader of a gangster family wishing to move up in the world, set in Birmingham, England 1912. (The Peaky Blinders gang was real, btw, so the show is based on real events.) Each season consists of six, one hour long episodes, and each minute is carefully crafted, not only in narrative but also in its direction. This show boasts my personal favourite character (Thomas Shelby), while also meeting the high industry standards for cinematography and soundtrack. The magnetism of the show rests on Cillian Murphy’s shoulders, who does not fail to deliver a character and a story you will want to watch again and again.

5. Vikings (Season 5) History Channel

Premieres Nov. 29

If you are looking for a historical drama on the bloody side of things, Vikings will not disappoint. The plot follows the life of a famous Norseman, Ragnar Lothbrok (Travis Fimmel), and his rise to fame. The later seasons evolve to also include the stories of his sons. The show makes a valiant effort to portray Norse culture accurately as well as subvert stereotypes. It also explores a narrative of Christianity and Norse beliefs. What’s interesting about this show is the amount of time that passes, not only between seasons, but between episodes. This allows for each season to be unique as the events that follow are distinct and each season has a different story and development for each character as they get older. Fair warning: the first 2 seasons are fairly tame in regards to blood and gore, the third and fourth season progressing more into the explicit, and from what I’ve seen of the fifth season it looks like it will be pretty violent. If this is not an issue, I highly recommend checking it out.

Also, Lagertha is one badass woman…Get it girl!

6. Mindhunter (Season 1) Neflix

Premieres Oct. 13

In the spirt of Halloween, Netflix is releasing a new TV show set in 1979 that follows two FBI agents, Holden Ford (Jonathan Groff) and Bill Tench (Holt MacCollany) who interview convicted serial killers and attempt to apply what they learn to current crimes. The trailer depicts it as chilling yet intriguing show, but from what I can tell, it’s not for the faint of heart. It is based off the book, Mind Hunter: Inside FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit, co-written by John E. Douglas, a special agent who helped develop behavioural science and criminal profiling into what we see today. The best part? It’s already renewed for a second season! What’s not to love?

7. Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Season 5)

Premieres Sept. 26

I love this show so much! But I’ll let my wonderful roommate, Arianna Cheveldave, tell you why you should watch it in her article!

What shows are you looking forward to binge watching this fall?

Source: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7

Leah Smith

U Vic '20

Coming from Edmonton, AB, Leah is a writing student in the Fine Arts Department at the University of Victoria. She enjoys all things story related including but not limited to TV, movies, and books. She is a die-hard fan of Peaky Blinders, Mr. Robot, and Jane the Virgin. She loves desserts and when she has time enjoys baking and hanging out with her family and friends. She is easy-going and with an avid love for music and hopes to be a screenwriter.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison