What Time Is It? Summertime!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Even though we’re not out of the clear yet (final examinations and all), I’m certain that many of you are aching for the warm temperatures and endless free time that accompanies the summer season. You still have considerable time on your hands, even if you are fortunate enough to attain employment. Of course, lounging around and watching a few ‘chick’ flicks never hurt anyone, but even the summer brings its’ own set of things to do. Hopefully this article will help you find ways to relax or motivate you to get out there.

Catch Up On Your Favourite TV Show

Sure, this doesn’t sound very active, but don’t you want to know what happens between Damon and Elena on TVD?  Is Glee’s Quinn Fabray going to be alright after that nasty car accident? Can’t I get another dose of Game of Thrones? It’s refreshing to step into some dialogue and get wrapped up in the awesomeness that is these shows.

Rent or borrow, novelty is not always best
During my sophomore year, I could barely find the time (or the friends who were available) to cruise on down to the movie theatre and catch a few box office hits. However, it seems that the Cineplex trips often drained my wallet, and I grew to crave other foods besides buttery popcorn and an oversized pop. A massive screen is great for epic movies like “The Hunger Games”, but for those of you who might have missed something or are curious enough to discover why a certain film is considered a classic, try to borrow or rent. It’s considerably cheaper for starters. Get together with friends and have a movie night with films that are already owned. Borrow from the U of T or public libraries. If you’re a Shakespeare aficionado, I’m sure J. M. Kelly supplies it.

Note: This could equally apply to books as well; although I’d recommend having a list of books to keep you busy should a preferred novel be on loan.

Bring Out Your Inner Nerd
Maybe you haven’t caught onto the ‘hipster’ look, but there are more ways than one to let out your inner geek! For those of you into Anime and Manga, might I suggest all the wonder (and serious-costume making) of Anime North? Also, the annual Toronto Comic Con is coming around again in mid-April. 

Indulge
Reward yourself with sweets galore! Choose from places such as Prairie Girl, the Cupcake Shoppe, or Snakes & Lattes. These are all terrific places to indulge your inner sweet tooth, with the latter keeping you hooked on a collection of over a thousand board games.  

A slight warning: Snakes & Lattes is quite popular, so book at least a few hours or a day in advance.

Downtown Sprawl
Some collegiettes might be club-goers, while others might want to learn a few tricks from U of T’s dance club classes. There are also a number of cultural, musical, and fun festivals throughout the summer that are worth attending.

Whether you’re on vacation, enjoying a Saturday night movie or strolling along the beach boardwalk, have a great summer ladies!

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.