Style > Beauty

Unusual Beauty Treatments Everybody Should Try At Least Once: The Eyelash Lift?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Butt lift, face-lift, breast lift, at this point, it’s pretty clear that all the body parts that CAN be lifted are BEING lifted. What I was not expecting, however, was a treatment to lift a part of the body as small as eyelashes.

Modern science, eh?

As a self-proclaimed dabbler in innovative beauty treatments (and I still have the antibiotics from all my eye infections to prove it), I was pretty excited when I heard about a new procedure called the eyelash lift. Basically, this technique is adapted from the old-school eyelash perm that originated in Japan, where the eyelashes are wrapped around small rods to create a nice, tight “C” curl. After the eyelashes are securely glued down, perming and toning solution is applied in same way a hair stylist would perm your hair. This procedure typically takes twenty to thirty minutes, after which you open your eyes to nicely curled eyelashes which will remain curled come rain or snow, for the next 4-6 weeks.

Sounds almost too good to be true, doesn’t it? Well, in some ways, it was. A complaint that many first-time users of the eyelash perm had was that the curl was TOO curly, in fact, it made some clients’ eyelashes appear even shorter because the eyelash would actually curl back on itself. As an Asian lady who wrestles with my Maybelline mascara, a hand held mirror, and my Shisedo eyelash curler every morning to coax even a limp crimp into my eyelashes, my first reaction was “cry me a river.”

Based on these complaints, however, a new procedure was eventually developed called the eyelash LIFT, in which silicon pads of varying sizes replaced the traditional rods and a looser – but still defined – curl is permed into the eyelashes. This technique boasts a higher satisfaction rate because instead of a “one-size-fits-all” attitude, the varying pad sizes allow ladies with longer eyelashes to get a looser curl, while those with shorter eyelashes can use a smaller pad to get a sharper curl.

Like I said earlier, I’m an avid experimenter in the latest beauty tips and tricks, and booked an appointment as MYNC eyelash bar in Toronto after a little research on the eyelash bar as well as the procedure. I’ve always been a bit finicky about my eyelashes, since grade 9 I’ve experimented with false eyelash strips, the individual eyelash clumps, transitioning to Rapidlash (eyelash growth stimulant), then eyelash extensions, and finally what I’ve settled on after 4 years of experimentation – Lilash. I suppose you could say I’m a bit of an eyelash fiend, which is why the eyelash lift intrigued me. The treatment is definitely costly – 65$ plus tax then tip brought me to just over 80$. Check out the pictures below though, and let me know if you think it was money well spent!

Directly after my first eyelash lift, no makeup or eyelash enhancers. This is a picture of the loosest lift available (large silicone pad), I originally considered getting medium or even small (I suppose I don’t think my eyelashes are very long – they point downward so without a curler, they might as well not even be there). However, the technician told me my eyelashes were actually quite long, and if I were to get a smaller pad option, they might end up too curly and curl over backwards. As this was my first time, I decided not to be a backseat driver and to take her word for it. All in all, I was pretty impressed by the results!

Same day, a deceptive “looking up” picture which makes my eyelashes look much longer than they actually are. Once again, no makeup or eyelash enhancements, but you can tell in the picture that the curled lashes do make my eyes look brighter! (I suppose the curled lashes are canceled out my next level eyebags though.. I’m a fond believer in the phrase “If you’re at U of T and you don’t have eyebags, you’re not doing it right.”)

Here are some pictures of what the lifted eyelashes look like with mascara:

Conclusion of the lash lift on pad size large is that it gives a nice, natural lift and even with mascara on, it looks like I could just be genetically blessed. In the side profile picture, you see that all the eyelashes are distinctively curled upward – but not in the sharp 90 degree angle crimp that I usually get from an eyelash curler. In terms of maintenence, I’m not big on eye makeup anyway – most days I’ll put some eyeshadow on, white eyeliner on my waterline, concealer, and call it a day. I think this is why my eyelashes stayed curled for as long as they did (6 weeks!), for somebody who wears more eyeliner and mascara on a daily basis, I can hazard a guess that the eyelashes will fall out faster.

Something to note is that the eyelashes do not un-curl, they just fall out. So you don’t have to worry about your makeup weighing down the curl and bringing permed eyelashes back to their original state, in my experience, the curled ones stay curled and when they start falling out, you’ll have an amusing “forked” effect on your eyelashes. If you’re careful with makeup removal, however, daily eyeliner and mascara shouldn’t be a problem.

Here is a photo of what my eyelashes looked like at the 6 week point:

At this point, my eyelashes have basically reverted to what they looked like pre-treatment. A bit of curl, but mostly eyelashes have fallen out and re-grown in their original downward slant – nothing to call home about. What can I say, I have become acustom to a certain way of life – and so, I booked my second eyelash lift appointment.

This time, having a bit of experience under my belt, I decided to up the ante and get the medium sized rod instead of the large. I was extremely pleased with the end result, in fact, in the future I think I will be sticking with the medium size.

Whaaaat!? Can you believe this eye is the same as the eye above (sorry for the influx of awkward eye photos – you can even tell if I’m wearing makeup or not by the presence or absence of eyebrows) only 30 minutes (and 80 dollars) later? I love the curl from the medium pad, it’s a bit more dramatic than the large pad but as I mentioned earlier, I don’t wear mascara on a regular basis so a dramatic, natural look is exactly what I’m after. Here is what the medium pad eyelashes look like after a coat of Maybelline’s Mega Plus mascara:

This is a picture I took earlier this week, it’s roughly the two week mark since I got my eyelashes lifted for the second time and I’m pretty happy with how it looks. Some eyelashes have fallen out (which explains the bald patch you can see below – heh) but it’s manageable and barely noticable unless somebody gets very close. 

My final verdict for the last lift from MYNC lashbar is that it’s expensive, but worth the money for the time it saves me in the morning and the sorcery it has worked on my previously problem child eyelashes. Eyelashes, as you have probably already gleamed, are one of the most important components of my look and when I have nice eyelashes, I don’t feel like it’s necessary to add more makeup.

The lash lift is a great way to brighten up your eyes and save time in the morning. I will definitely be going back once my lashes are further into the re-growth process and need perking up again, and I will be sticking with the medium sized silicone rods.

Overall rating: 9/10! (knocked off a point because it is fairly pricey, and 80$+ isn’t feasible regularly for most students)

Have any of you guys heard of the lash lift? Or perhaps had one done before? I would love to hear about your thoughts and experiences, make sure you leave a comment below for me.

Lisa

Photo Source:

http://gotstylist.blogspot.ca/p/eyelash-perm-tint-intro.html

http://3d-beauty.com/shop/eyelash-perming/eyelash-lift-silicone-pads/eye…

http://3d-beauty.com/shop/eyelash-perming/eyelash-lift-silicone-pad-larg…

Lisa Chen

U Toronto

Lisa Chen is currently a second year student majoring in the History and Philosophy of Science and Technology (it's a thing - I swear!) with a minor in English and a joint minor with Singapore National University in Asian Culture and Literature. When she is not editing articles for HerCampus and marveling at the amazing content her writers produce, Lisa is an executive on the Arts and Science Student's Union (ASSU) where she represents and advocates for the interests of over 24,000 students enrolled in the Faculty of Arts and Science. Lisa hopes to study law after graduation, preferably somewhere warm like California because Canadian winters are ridiculous and she loves high-waisted shorts. If you see her around campus, don't be afraid to come say hi! Especially if you love Adventure Time and Harry Potter as much as she does.