Political Science Prankster: Sasha Boutilier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Name: Sasha Boutilier

Year of Study: 2nd year

Program of study: Specialist Political Science; major Ethics, Society and Law; minor Canadian Studies

Hometown: Toronto, I lived in Chicago for most of my childhood though.

Status: Single (after my girlfriend sees this)…Just kidding,  I’m happily taken.

College: St. Mike’s!

Res or non res? Non-res

How does it feel to be a commuter? There’re ups and downs. Commuting is honestly pretty nice when the weather is agreeable. I like having the commute as a time I can do readings and relax a bit. I’m close enough to campus that it’s not too much of an inconveniance and I’m on campus most every day.

How second year is different from first year: I remember as a first year I was shocked how generous and helpful upper years were. Now as an upper year student myself I’ve found it so enjoyable and rewarding helping out and advising first-year students.

Did your perspectives change from one year to the other? In what ways? As a second year I’d have to say I’m a lot less nervous than a first-year. There’s a ton of hype surrounding university and rightly so because your first year definitely constitutes a challenging tradition. It’s a trip outside your comfort zone which is fantastic. Going into second-year, I feel much more comfortable and settled. I have a great group of friends at U of T who I’m very grateful for, I feel like I’ve found my place in the Political Science department, and I’m excited to be involved in a number of fantastic student organizations for the coming year.

As an university student, for you what are the do’s and dont’s for first year students?

Honestly the biggest piece of advice I’d give to incoming students is to start thinking about your future now. You don’t have to know exactly what you want it to be but get out there and start exploring. Talk to your profs, get involved in as many clubs and societies as you can, and make friends not only with fellow students who share similar interests as you but also those with completely different academic areas of focus.

In terms of what not to do, I think the most valuable piece of advice I could give would come in two closely intertwined parts: don’t doubt yourself and don’t sell yourself short. Don’t doubt yourself, set ambitious goals and do your best to meet them. I think very often student’s failure in their studies isn’t due to any lack of capability, but rather a self-doubt that can quite naturally lead to a lack of enjoyment in studying. So that’s sort of a vicious cycle. On a similar note, I’d tell any student never to sell yourself short. Always reach and set that bar high so even if you fail to meet your goal, you’re still not in a bad place. University is a time of self-discovery, exploration, experimentation…the last thing you want to do in such an exciting time is to be the very one limiting your own potential. Get yourself out there, get involved, and give it your all! 

What would be a song that could describe your university life? “Wake me up” by Avicii. Every. Single. Day.

What does success mean to you and how could you consider yourself successful?

I think success has a lot of components. Many times we just think of it as making lots of money or getting good grades or having cool achievement…Really there’s a lot more to it than that though. Having strong relationships are key parts of success to me too. I’m happy with where I am academically and professionally, and I’m profoundly grateful for my health, my friends, and my family. So I would consider myself successful in that way.

If you had other alternatives, would you still attend university? Why’s that?

You know, I was really into music in high school and seriously considered pursuing trumpet professionally. I had the rare opportunity to spend a lot of time around music. I also played a lot of piano (jazz, blues, rock) and did songwriting. That would be pretty much the only alternative to university I would have considered, it’s far too uncertain though.

If you could be a flavour of ice cream, which one you’d be? Spumoni. Because there’s more than one side to me.

What’s the best decision you’ve ever made in your life? I’ll say agreeing to do this interview.

Would you rather be hated or forgotten by someone?

Depends on the person and the circumstances. Sometimes being forgotten can be humiliating and I’d rather have a small degree of mutual hate. Most of the time forgotten though.

How would you explain your life philosophy?

People close to me would tell you one of my life philosphies is “just deal with it.” They’d also tell you I don’t always follow my own advice. I try to though, and in tough times I feel like something as simple as that idea of just dealing with it can be very powerful. It can restore a sense of faith in your own capabilities, your own resourcefulness, and even your ability to reach out and get help or advice if you need it. Dealing with a problem doesn’t have to mean just muscling through it.

What’s the best prank you’ve ever pulled?

I was a real prankster as a youth and would play tons of jokes on my family. One of my favorites was that I used to always try to surprise my elder brother. I’d hide in his closet and then scare him. There was these low shelves and then shirts hanging in the closet so if you sat on the shelves you could hide behindd the shirts. One time I found this nerf gun ad brought it with me. So I’m sitting there, and when he comes into the closet to get something I wait until he’s close before firing the dart and he completely freaked out. It was pretty funny, but I sometimes feel like he still hasn’t forgiven me.

What have you always wanted? Were you able to get it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOUqQt3Kg0

…Depends on who we’re talking about.

Do you trust anyone with your life? Who?

I try not to have to trust anyone with my life in such a complete way because it is obviously quite a burden. If I do need to however, I know there are people in my family and close friends I can trust whole-heartedly.

What is the perfect pizza for you?

Pizza is  one of my  favorite foods, which is as it should be. I’m a little unusual in that I like to judge pizza places just of their basic Margherita pizza…tomato sauce, cheese, and a little basil. Really, if it’s a good pizza restaurant that’s all you need! That said, I’m obsessed with BBQ chicken pizza, will demolish a Hawaiwan pizza, and being from Chicago I have an unhealthy affinity for deep dish pizza.

Best compliment you’ve ever received?

People say I have a very trustworthy face and that’s cool. It means more though when people tell me that I’m a trustworthy, reliable person because that’s something I work very hard at.

How does it feel to be chosen as a Her Campus Cutie?

Unsurprising. Just kidding…but really. I just hope Her Campus and the Her Campus Cutie help to build a greater sense of community which as we all know can seem a vast, impersonal place at times.